Nocun was born in Poland in 1986, but grew up in Germany. Her mother is a database administrator, and her father is an IT project manager. After completing the Abitur in Wesel in 2006, she studied Politics and Business at the University of Münster, subsequently studying Politics, Economics and Philosophy at the University of Hamburg. She has a Bachelor of Arts degree. Until December 2012, she worked as an officer for digital consumer rights at the Federation of German Consumer Organizations (Verbraucherzentrale Bundesverband). Currently she is an editor for netzwelt, a technology-related news site, and is completing a part-time degree in business computer science.
Nocun holds both German and Polish nationality.
Nocun joined the Pirate Party of Germany in March 2012. She was the second candidate on the party list in the 2013 state elections of Lower Saxony, and she ran again as the second candidate on the party list in the 2013 federal election. She is an expert representative for data protection for the Pirate Party of Germany. Since 2010, she has been a part of the independent Workgroup for Data Retention, participated in the 2010/2011 demonstrations for "Freedom Not Fear", and, since 2011, has worked with the Workgroup Census.
On 10 May 2013, she was selected to be the policy coordinator of the Pirate Party of Germany with 81.7 percent of the vote.
- with Leif-Erik Holtz and Marit Hansen: Towards Displaying Privacy Information with Icons. In: Privacy and Identity Management for Life. Springer Science+Business Media (2011), S. 338–348.
- Konrad Duden Gymnasium Wesel, Absolventen 2006
- Deutsche Welle: Na czele niemieckiej Partii Piratów stoi dziewczyna z Polski, vom 11. Mai 2013
- die Tageszeitung: Katharina Nocun – Strikt sachlich, jung und Oberpiratin, 28 December 2012
- Frankfurter Rundschau: Katharina Nocun wird neue Oberpiratin, 10. May 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Katharina Nocun.|