|Competencies||Databases, RDBMS, SQL, distributed computing, operating systems, storage technologies, networking, maintenance, recovery|
|BS or MS in comp sci; associate degree or certificate with work experience|
Database administrators (DBAs) use specialized software to store and organize data. The role may include capacity planning, installation, configuration, database design, migration, performance monitoring, security, troubleshooting, as well as backup and data recovery.
- Knowledge of database queries
- Knowledge of database theory
- Knowledge of database design
- Knowledge about the RDBMS itself, e.g. Microsoft SQL Server or MySQL
- Knowledge of SQL, e.g. SQL/PSM or Transact-SQL
- General understanding of distributed computing architectures, e.g. Client–server model
- General understanding of operating system, e.g. Windows or Linux
- General understanding of storage technologies and networking
- General understanding of routine maintenance, recovery, and handling failover of a database
There are many certifications available for becoming a certified database administrator. Many of these certifications are offered by database vendors themselves. Database administrator certifications may be earned by passing a series of tests and sometimes other requirements. Schools offering Database Administration degrees can also be found.
- IBM Certified Advanced Database Administrator – DB2 10.1 for Linux, Unix and Windows
- IBM Certified Database Administrator – DB2 10.1 for Linux, Unix, and Windows
- Oracle Database 12c Administrator Certified Professional
- Oracle MySQL 5.6 Database Administrator Certified Professional
- MCSA SQL Server 2012
- MCSE Data Platform Solutions Expert
- "Database Administrators". 11/04/2015. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "What does a DBA do all day?". 11/04/2015. techrepublic.com. Retrieved 19 April 2021.
- Spenik, Mark; Sledge, Orryn (20 March 2001). "What is a Database Administrator? (DBA)". Developer.com. Archived from the original on 13 June 2011. Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- "Oracle DBA job skills". Burleson Consulting.
- "Roles and Responsibilities – Oracle FAQ".
- "Database Administrator: Job Description and Requirements". 11/4/2015. study.com. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "How Do I Become a Certified Database Administrator?". learn.org. learn.org. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "IBM Professional Certification Program". ibm.com. IBM. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Oracle Certification Program". oracle.com. Oracle Corporation. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Oracle Certified Professional, MySQL 5.6 Database Administrator". oracle.com. Oracle Corporation. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "MCSA: SQL Server". microsoft.com. Microsoft. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "MCSE: Data Platform". 11/4/2015. microsoft.com. Retrieved 4 November 2015.