Kathrin Göring is a German operatic mezzo-soprano, a member of the Oper Leipzig who has appeared at other major opera houses, also in concert and recital, and made recordings. She has appeared in Leipzig in leading roles such as Bizet's Carmen and Wagner's Kundry, and was both Fricka and Waltraute in Der Ring in Minden, noted for both her voice and her dramatic portrayal of the characters.
Göring studied voice at the Musikhochschule Leipzig with Jitka Kovariková, and at the Musikhochschule Dresden with Hartmut Zabel. During her studies, she already appeared on stage as Hänsel in Humperdinck's Hänsel und Gretel, and in the title role of Giles Swayne's Le nozze di Cherubino. She has been a member of the Oper Leipzig from 2002/03 season, where she appeared as Kundry in Wagner's Parsifal, the Witch in Hänsel und Gretel, as the Foreign Princess in Dvořák's Rusalka, in the title role of Bize't Carmen and as Clairon in Capriccio by Richard Strauss, among others. In Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen, she was Fricka, Waltraute, and the Second Norn. She appeared as Fricka and Waltraute also in Der Ring in Minden, Fricka in Das Rheingold and Die Walküre, Waltraute in Die Walküre and Götterdämmerung. A critic noted her rich voice, and called her scene warning Brünnhilde in Götterdämmerung a musical highlight with intense dramatic acting. Göring sang as a guest at opera houses including Deutsche Oper Berlin, Deutsche Oper am Rhein, Aalto Theater in Essen, Theater Chemnitz, Theater Kiel and Theater Bremen.
Göring sings a broad repertoire of lieder and oratorios. In 2013, she performed and recorded the first performance in Germany of Bruno Maderna's Requiem, which had been assumed lost for decades. She sang with other soloists including Renatus Mészár, the MDR Rundfunkchor, and the Robert-Schumann-Philharmonie, conducted by Frank Beermann.
- "Kathrin Göring". ring-in-minden.de (in German). Stadttheater Minden. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- "Oper / Kathrin Göring". oper-leipzig.de (in German). Oper Leipzig. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- Molke, Thomas. "Das Rheingold / Vorabend des Bühnenfestspiels Der Ring des Nibelungen". omm.de (in German). Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- Molke, Thomas (9 September 2018). "Götterdämmerung". omm.de (in German). Online Musik Magazin. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- Clements, Dominy (November 2015). "Bruno Maderna (1920-1973) / Requiem (1946)". musicweb-international.com. Retrieved 25 September 2019.