Kathryn Mary Murphy
Kathryn Mary Murphy is a Canadian neuroscientist and professor who studies development and plasticity of the brain.
She has been a professor at McMaster University since 1994, where she founded the neuroscience program and prior to that was at McGill University where she won a University Research Fellowship from NSERC and a Sloan Research Fellowship from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.
Born in Calgary, Alberta, she grew up in Burlington, Ontario attending the University of Western Ontario for her bachelor's degree and Dalhousie University for her Masters and Ph.D. degrees. While at Dalhousie she held a Ross C. Purse scholarship from the CNIB and an NSERC Doctoral scholarship.
Her academic training took her to the University of California, Berkeley School of Optometry on postdoctoral fellowships from Fight For Sight and NSERC. For ten years (2007-2017), she was the Director of the McMaster Integrated Neuroscience Discovery & Study program (MiNDS).
Her research includes studying developmental and lifespan changes in the human brain. She has served as a Chair, Scientific Officer and Reviewer for the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) grant selection panels and was the editor of the Synaptosomes book (ISBN 978-1-4939-8738-2) published in 2018 in the NeuroMethods Series by Springer-Nature.
- Kavanagh, Robert J. (31 August 1987). "The NSERC Program of University Research Fellowships". Canadian Journal of Higher Education. 17 (2): 59–77. ISSN 0316-1218.
- "Sloan Research Fellowships". sloan.org.
- "The Ross C. Purse Doctoral Fellowship". CNIB.
- Government of Canada, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (28 June 2016). "Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarships-Doctoral Program and NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships-Doctoral Program". Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC).
- Murphy, Kathryn M.; Beston, Brett R.; Boley, Philip M.; Jones, David G. (2005). "Development of human visual cortex: A balance between excitatory and inhibitory plasticity mechanisms". Developmental Psychobiology. 46 (3): 209–221. doi:10.1002/dev.20053. ISSN 1098-2302. PMID 15772972.
- Duffy, Kevin R.; Frosch, Matthew P.; Murphy, Kathryn M.; Livingstone, Margaret S. (1 June 2007). "Cytochrome Oxidase and Neurofilament Reactivity in Monocularly Deprived Human Primary Visual Cortex". Cerebral Cortex. 17 (6): 1283–1291. doi:10.1093/cercor/bhl038. ISSN 1047-3211. PMC 2628812. PMID 16831856.
- Pinto, Joshua G. A.; Jones, David G.; Hornby, Kyle R.; Murphy, Kathryn M. (2010). "Developmental changes in GABAergic mechanisms in human visual cortex across the lifespan". Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience. 4. doi:10.3389/fncel.2010.00016. ISSN 1662-5102. PMC 2893712. PMID 20592950.
- Pinto, Joshua G. A.; Williams, C. Kate; Jones, David G.; Murphy, Kathryn M. (2015). "Characterizing synaptic protein development in human visual cortex enables alignment of synaptic age with rat visual cortex". Frontiers in Neural Circuits. 9. doi:10.3389/fncir.2015.00003. ISSN 1662-5110. PMC 4325922. PMID 25729353.
- Siu, Caitlin R.; Jones, David G.; Balsor, Justin L.; Murphy, Kathryn M. (2015). "Classic and Golli Myelin Basic Protein have distinct developmental trajectories in human visual cortex". Frontiers in Neuroscience. 9: 138. doi:10.3389/fnins.2015.00138. ISSN 1662-453X. PMC 4408849. PMID 25964736.
- Siu, Caitlin R.; Jones, David G.; Beshara, Simon P.; Murphy, Kathryn M. (21 June 2017). "Development of Glutamatergic Proteins in Human Visual Cortex across the Lifespan". Journal of Neuroscience. 37 (25): 6031–6042. doi:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2304-16.2017. ISSN 0270-6474. PMC 6596503. PMID 28554889.
- Siu, Caitlin R.; Murphy, Kathryn M. (24 April 2018). "The development of human visual cortex and clinical implications". Eye and Brain. 10: 25–36. doi:10.2147/EB.S130893. PMC 5937627. PMID 29760575.