The station building and entrance in March 2016
|Location||Watarida-Sannochō, Kawasaki-ku, Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa-ken 210-0845
|Operated by||JR East|
|Line(s)||■ Nambu Branch Line|
|Distance||2.2 km from Shitte|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Opened||25 March 1930|
|Passengers (FY2014)||1,358 daily|
Kawasaki-Shimmachi Station (川崎新町駅 Kawasaki-Shinmachi-eki) is a railway station on the Nambu Branch Line in Kawasaki-ku, Kawasaki, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan, operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East).
The station building and entrance is located on the south side of the tracks, with direct access to the up (Shitte-bound) platform 1. The down (Hama-Kawasaki-bound) platform 2 is accessed via an underpass. The station is staffed with simple Suica touch points at the entrance rather than ticket barriers.
Platform 1 is a side platform used by Nambu Branch Line up services to Shitte and also by freight services on the Tokaido Freight Branch Line accessing the Tokaido Line at Tsurumi. The adjacent track (behind platform 2) is the up (Tokyo-bound) track of the Tokaido Freight Branch Line. An additional loop line lies on the north side of the station.
|1||■ Nambu Branch Line||for Shitte|
|2||■ Nambu Branch Line||for Hama-Kawasaki|
|Nambu Branch Line|
Kawasaki-Shimmachi Station opened on March 25, 1930, initially as a freight-only station on the Nambu Railway's Nambu Branch Line. Passenger services began on April 10, 1930. The Nambu Railway was nationalized on April 1, 1944, becoming part of the Japanese Government Railway (JGR) system, at which time freight services at the station were discontinued. The JGR became the Japanese National Railways (JNR) from 1949.
With the privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the control of JR East.
In fiscal year 2014, the station was used by an average of 1,358 passengers daily (boarding passengers only). The passenger figures for previous years are as shown below.
|Fiscal year||Daily average|
- Kanagawa Prefectural Kawasaki High School
- Kawasaki Watarida Junior High School
- Kawasaki Shinmachi Elementary School
- Kawashima, Ryozo (18 March 2009). 日本の鉄道 東海道ライン 全線・全駅・全配線 第１巻 東京駅 － 横浜エリア [Railways of Japan - Tokaido Line - Lines/Stations/Track plans - Vol 1 Tokyo - Yokohama area] (in Japanese). Japan: Kodansha. p. 19, 53. ISBN 978-4-06-270011-5.
- Ishino, Tetsu, ed. (1998). 停車場変遷大辞典 国鉄・JR編 [Station Transition Directory - JNR/JR]. II. Japan: JTB. p. 69. ISBN 4-533-02980-9.
- 各駅の乗車人員 (2014年度) [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2014)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 2015. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- 各駅の乗車人員 (2000年度) [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2000)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 2001. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- 各駅の乗車人員 (2005年度) [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2005)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 2006. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- 各駅の乗車人員 (2010年度) [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2010)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 2011. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kawasaki-Shinmachi Station.|
- JR East Station info (in Japanese)