Type of site
|Industry||Retail, Ecommerce, Online Marketplace|
|Current status||Merged into Daraz|
Kaymu Pakistan was an e-commerce portal based in Pakistan. In July 2016 Rocket Internet merged ecommerce site Kaymu into Daraz. Kaymu stopped its operations officially in Pakistan on 5 July 2017.
Initially launched as Azmalo.pk in January 2013, Rocket Internet rebranded the company as Kaymu.pk in September 2013, aligning the venture with the global company brand that currently spans 3 continents, Asia, Africa and Europe. Kaymu Pakistan was initially managed by Managing Director Asia Region Ahmed H. Khan followed by co-founders and Managing Directors Kaymu Asia - Christian Schröder and Niroshan Balasubramaniam respectively. Kaymu's online shopping operations in Pakistan were led by Adam Dawood as country manager from August 2014 to January 2016 followed by Ali Zain Sheikh  till March 2017.
The idea behind the founding of Kaymu in Pakistan was to facilitate online buying and selling through a single platform. At the time of Kaymu's launch in Pakistan, OLX was already operating in the country as an online classifieds website. The idea of a managed online marketplace that would be providing seller rating and facilitating buyers via cash on delivery received good response from the local community. Kaymu Pakistan now serves as a platform that offers consumer to consumer (C2C) as well as business to consumer (B2C) services across the country.
In April 2014, Ooredoo, a Qatar-based Telecommunications Company (formerly known as QTel) joined hands with Rocket Internet. The founding of APACIG resulted in additional funding from Ooredoo.
Rocket Internet in Pakistan
The German internet company Rocket Internet took an initial step into Pakistan's e-commerce sector with the establishment of Daraz.pk in July 2012. Following a positive reception in Pakistan with its first e-commerce venture, Rocket Internet expanded its operations in Pakistan to over 30 active websites in 2015, the widest known being Kaymu.pk, Foodpanda.pk and Daraz.pk. In a recent development, one of the ventures of Rocket internet in Pakistan has been acquired by Alibaba.
An apparent drawback Kaymu faces is the inability to gauge the quality of products listed by the sellers. Some of these products are illegally copied games and programs being listed as genuine copies.
- "Kaymu.pk is another venture for Rocket Internet". dailytimes.com.pk.
- Husain, Osman (24 June 2016). "Tech in Asia - Connecting Asia's startup ecosystem". www.techinasia.com. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- "Daraz, Kaymu join hands to get '360 degree ownership' of e-commerce market | Pakistan Today". www.pakistantoday.com.pk. Retrieved 2019-08-31.
- "Azmalo.pk joins the online shopping trend in Pakistan". dailytimes.com.pk. Archived from the original on 15 March 2014.
- "Kaymu.pk first launched under the name Azmalo before it rebranded to Kaymu". techinasia.com.
- "Kaymu Global on Rocket Internet Website". www.rocket-internet.com. Rocket Internet.
- "Ahmed H Khan, MD, Rocket Internet". indiatimes.com.
- Business Recorder. "Pakistan is the hub of Kaymu's Asia operations: MD Kaymu.com, Asia region". brecorder.com.
- "Christian Schröder speaks to Khaleej Times". khaleejtimes.com.
- "Niroshan Balasubramaniam speaks to The Daily Star". thedailystar.net.
- "Adam Dawood speaks to The News". thenews.com.pk.
- "Kaymu.pk celebrates three years of operations in Pakistan, with Ali Zain Sheikh". thenews.com.pk.
- "Kaymu.pk – A name for the masses!". IBEX. 2016-04-26. Retrieved 2019-08-31.
- "Cash-on-Delivery (COD) payment methods account for more than 95 percent of online purchases in Pakistan". dailytimes.com.pk.
- "Kaymu, a C2C (consumer-to-consumer) and B2C (business-to-consumer) online marketplace". dawn.com.
- "Kaymu.pk Launched its Android App". dailytimes.com.pk.
- "Kaymu.pk launched mobile apps for Android, iOS and Blackberry". brecorder.com.
- "Rocket Internet partnered with Ooredoo Q.S.C a Qatar-based telecom". nation.com.pk.
- Daily Times. "Ooredoo and Rocket Internet Partner to Develop Online Businesses in Asia". dailytimes.com.pk.
- "Rocket Internet Fashion E-Store daraz gets 1000 orders per day". www.techinasia.com. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "Rocket Internet in Pakistan". nation.com.pk. 8 January 2015.
- "Alibaba Acquired Daraz". dnd.com.pk. 8 May 2018.
- "Pirated Software and Games Make it to Kaymu.PK of Rocket Internet". propakistani.pk. Retrieved 1 October 2014.