|Institutions||University of East Anglia|
|Alma mater||University of East Anglia|
|Thesis||Tree-climate relationships and dendroclimatological reconstruction in British Isles (1984)|
|Doctoral advisor||Tom Wigley|
|Spouse||Sarah Christian Broun Raper|
Keith Raphael Briffa (born 1952) is a climatologist employed since 1977 by the University of East Anglia, where he is now emeritus professor and deputy director of the Climatic Research Unit. He has authored or co-authored over 130 scholarly articles, chapters and books. In his professional work, he focuses on climate change in the late Holocene, with a special focus on northern portions of Europe and Asia. Briffa's preferred method is dendroclimatology, which is a set of procedures intended to decode information about the past climate from tree rings. Briffa helped develop data sets from trees from Canada, Fennoscandia, and northern Siberia which have been used in climate research.
From 1994 to 2000, Briffa served on the scientific steering committee (SSC) of the PAGES project; more recently he also served on SSCs for the UK NERC Rapid Climate Change and the European Science Foundation's HOLIVAR program.
- Briffa K.R.; et al. (2013). "Reassessing the evidence for tree-growth and inferred temperature change during the Common Era in Yamalia, northwest Siberia". Quaternary Science Reviews. 72: 83–107. doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2013.04.008.
- Briffa K.R.; et al. (2008). "Trends in recent temperature and radial tree growth spanning 2000 years across northwest Eurasia". Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. 363 (1501): 2269–82. doi:10.1098/rstb.2007.2199. PMC . PMID 18048299.
- Osborn T.J. and K.R. Briffa (2006). "The spatial extent of 20th-century warmth in the context of the past 1200 years". Science. 311 (5762): 841–4. Bibcode:2006Sci...311..841O. doi:10.1126/science.1120514. PMID 16469924.
- Briffa K.R.; et al. (2002). "Unusual twentieth-century summer warmth in a 1,000-year temperature record from Siberia". Nature. 376 (6536): 156–9. Bibcode:1995Natur.376..156B. doi:10.1038/376156a0.
- Briffa K.R.; et al. (2001). "Low-frequency temperature variations from a northern tree ring density network" (PDF). Journal of Geophysical Research. 106 (D3): 2929–2941. Bibcode:2001JGR...106.2929B. doi:10.1029/2000JD900617.
- Briffa, K.R. (2000). "Annual climate variability in the Holocene: interpreting the message of ancient trees". Quaternary Science Reviews. 19 (1-5): 87–105. Bibcode:2000QSRv...19...87B. doi:10.1016/S0277-3791(99)00056-6.
- "Tree-climate relationships and dendroclimatological reconstruction in British Isles". British Library EThOS. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "Tree-climate relationships and dendroclimatological reconstruction in British Isles". British Library EThOS. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
|This biographical article about a climatologist or meteorologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|