|Location||Kentucky / Tennessee|
|Coordinates||37°00′47″N 88°16′12″W / 37.013°N 88.270°W|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Max. depth||75 feet (23 m)|
|Water volume||Maximum: 4,008,000 acre⋅ft (4.944 km3)|
Kentucky Lake is a major navigable reservoir along the Tennessee River in Kentucky and Tennessee. It was created in 1944 by the Tennessee Valley Authority's impounding of the Tennessee River via Kentucky Dam for flood control and hydroelectric power. The 160,309-acre (649 km2) lake is the largest artificial lake by surface area in the United States east of the Mississippi River, with 2,064 miles (3,322 km) of shoreline. Kentucky Lake has a flood storage capacity of 4,008,000 acre⋅ft (4.944 km3), more than 2.5 times the next largest lake in the TVA system.
It provides a source for hydro-electric power. Also, as one of the lakes alluded to by the name of Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area, it is a recreational destination of western Kentucky and Tennessee.
The lake is a desirable fishing area. Records for the largest of three species of fish ever taken in Kentucky have been set at this lake: white bass (5 lb [2.3 kg]), Buffalo carp (55 lb [25 kg]), and yellow perch (1 lb 4 oz [0.57 kg]). It is also the major attraction for two Kentucky state parks: Kentucky Dam Village State Resort Park to the north and Kenlake State Resort Park to the west.
- Dams and reservoirs of the Tennessee River
- Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area
- Kenlake State Resort Park
- Kentucky Dam Village State Resort Park
- Eggner's Ferry Bridge
- ^ a b Kleber, John E., ed. (1992). "Lakes". The Kentucky Encyclopedia. Associate editors: Thomas D. Clark, Lowell H. Harrison, and James C. Klotter. Lexington, Kentucky: The University Press of Kentucky. ISBN 0-8131-1772-0.
- ^ "Kentucky State Record Fish List". Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources. 2006-04-17. Archived from the original on 2007-02-10. Retrieved 2007-02-17.
- Visitor's guide by Marshall County, Kentucky Tourist Commission
- KentuckyLake.com Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkely & Land Between the Lakes Information
- KentuckyLake.TV Collection of informational videos on Kentucky Lake
- LBLGuide.com Informational site about Kentucky Lake and the Land Between the Lakes area
- Kentucky Lake Guide by KFW
- 1944 establishments in Kentucky
- 1944 establishments in Tennessee
- Reservoirs in Kentucky
- Reservoirs in Tennessee
- Protected areas of Calloway County, Kentucky
- Protected areas of Lyon County, Kentucky
- Protected areas of Trigg County, Kentucky
- Protected areas of Marshall County, Kentucky
- Tennessee River
- Tennessee Valley Authority
- Protected areas of Benton County, Tennessee
- Bodies of water of Calloway County, Kentucky
- Bodies of water of Lyon County, Kentucky
- Bodies of water of Trigg County, Kentucky
- Bodies of water of Marshall County, Kentucky
- Bodies of water of Benton County, Tennessee