Kevin R. McMahon
McMahon was awarded the Collins Wisconsin Distinguished Fellowship, earning a Doctor of Musical Arts in Conducting from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. His primary teachers were David E. Becker, James Smith, and William Farlow.
Former conducting positions include music director/conductor of the Symphony School of America Chamber Orchestra (1985–1986), music director/conductor of the National Arts Chamber Orchestra(1985–1988), music director/conductor Classical Symphony Chamber Ensemble (1988–1989), music director/conductor Lincoln Opera of Chicago (1989–1994), cover conductor for the South Bend Symphony (1992–1995), music director/conductor of the Northwest Indiana Youth Orchestra (1989–2000), and music director and conductor of the Illinois Valley Symphony Orchestra (1995–2008).
Academic appointments, including graduate school, include the University of Michigan, Kalamazoo College, Illinois Valley Community College, Northern Illinois University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Ripon College (Wisconsin).
In October 2009, McMahon guest conducted for the Sheboygan Symphony Orchestra for the first time, and on success of that appearance, in 2010 was named the orchestra's music director/conductor. Other current positions include artistic director/conductor/violin recitalist for the Maud Powell Music Festival (since 1999), associate conductor for the New York Repertory Orchestra (since 2005), and music director/conductor for the Wheaton Symphony Orchestra (since 2009).
In the United States McMahon has guest conducted, or led orchestras, opera and ballet companies on tour, in Chicago, Spokane, Elgin, Evanston, Tampa, South Bend, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Madison, Los Angeles, Ann Arbor, Milwaukee, and Washington, D.C.
In Europe McMahon served as resident conductor for the Rome Festival Opera, Orchestra, and Ballet (1995–2004). He conducted orchestras, operas, and ballet companies in Italy, Bulgaria, Greece, Romania, the Czech Republic, and Germany.
Among McMahon's notable compositional achievements are the world premiere performances of his theater works Marilyn Monroe (2004) and librettist for Maud Powell-Queen of Violinists (2006). In March 2000 the Illinois Valley Symphony Orchestra premiered a symphony that was written by McMahon titled "Valley of the Illinois", for the orchestra's 50th Anniversary season.
In 2002, McMahon was recognized for Meritorious Service in Orchestra Conducting by the Illinois Council of Orchestras. The presentation of the award took place at the Union League Club of Chicago and was followed by a reception in honor of Maestro McMahon and other award recipients. The event was sponsored by the Chicago Fine Arts Society.
Kevin resides in Madison, Wisconsin.
- Coakley, Deirdre. "Youth Symphony to Chicago". Gadsden Times. Gadsden, Alabama.
- "Etowah Youth Orchestras perform here Sunday". Gadsden Times.
- "Orchestral Conducting at Michigan". University of Michigan Alumni, Students of Gustav Meier.[permanent dead link]
- "Book Review:The Score, the Orchestra, and the Conductor". Conductors Guild. Archived from the original on 2011-07-27.
- "Bio: Conductor Kevin McMahon".
- Leonard, Jim (March 30, 1987). "The best Orchestra in Ann Arbor makes its Ann Arbor debut". The Ann Arbor News. Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- "A little seasoning, and watch young orchestra really cook". Chicago Tribune.
- Etheridge, Tom. "Lincoln Opera: a hidden gem in Chicago arts scene". The Chicago Maroon. Chicago, Illinois.
- Mason, Lottie Lee (March 9, 1993). "Traditional and Contemporary Music and Dance". River North News. Chicago, Illinois.
- Mason, Lottie Lee (November 10, 1992). "The Perfectly Written Opera is Back". River North News. Chicago, Illinois.
- Gerloff, Lisa (November 4, 1992). ""Carmen" uses Opera House perfectly". The Woodstock Independent. Woodstock, Illinois.
- "Music from the Americas". The Times.
- Skiba, Walter (May 15, 1993). "Northwest Indiana Symphony finale scores a seasonal success". The Times. Hammond, Indiana.
- "Resume: Conductor Kevin McMahon". Kevin McMahon.
- Sterrett, Craig (May 12, 2000). "Soloist notes link to Powell, peru violinist". News Tribune. La Salle, Illinois.
- Dickerson, Diana. "Young orchestra takes an enthusiastic trip". Kalamazoo Gazette. Kalamazoo, Michigan.
- "Ready to lead: Sheboygan Symphony announces its 2010-11 season lineup". Sheboygan Press. Sheboygan, Wisconsin. June 24, 2010.
- "Wheaton Symphony Orchestra appoints Kevin McMahon as music director". Wordpress.org. March 19, 2009.
- Skiba, Walter (August 28, 1998). "Symphony shows it loves Tinseltown". The Times. Hammond, Indiana.
- Coakley, Deirdre (June 3, 1993). "Youths give astonishing joint concert". Gadsden Times. Gadsden, Alabama.
- Todd, Michael (June 11, 2004). "Marilyn the Musical". News Tribune. La Salle, Illinois.
- "Past Music Festival Productions". Maud Powell Music Festival.
- "Maud Powell "Queen of Violoinists" Premieres June 15". News Tribune. La Salle, Illinois. May 24, 2006.
- Sterrett, Craig (March 6, 2000). "Native Symphony". News Tribune. La Salle, Illinois.
- "IVSO presents: "Marvelous May"". News Tribune. La Salle, Illinois. May 4, 2002.