|Birth name||Khia Shamone Chambers|
|Born||November 8, 1977|
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Origin||Tampa, Florida, U.S.|
|Genres||Hip hop, R&B|
|Occupation(s)||Rapper, songwriter, record producer|
|Labels||Dirty Down, Epic, Phase One, Big Cat|
Khia Shamone Finch (née Chambers, November 8, 1977), known professionally as Khia (//, KY-ə), is an American rapper, songwriter, singer, media personality and record producer. She is best known for her hit single "My Neck, My Back (Lick It)". To date Khia has collectively sold over 1 million records worldwide.
Khia was born Khia Shamone Chambers in Philadelphia and was raised in its Germantown neighborhood, and she moved to Tampa, Florida when she was 11. Khia attended Dowdell Middle School and Hillsborough High School. She was expelled from Hillsborough during ninth grade and attended an alternative school afterwards. In 1991, Khia had her first child, a daughter also named Khia. In 1992, she moved to Hawaii when the father was stationed there and had her second child, a son named Rashawn, while she was living with him. Before becoming a rapper, she worked as a bartender at Club XS in Tampa, Florida. Her mother Carol Belinda Chambers, who was a data entry specialist, died in 2001.
2002: Thug Misses
Khia released her debut album, Thug Misses in 2002 on Dirty Down/Artemis Records as a re-release from the original version by Divine Records. The lead single "My Neck, My Back (Lick It)" became a breakthrough single, charting at #42 on the Hot 100 chart and #12 on the Hot Rap Tracks chart. MTV News reported that she wrote "My Neck, My Back" in 15 minutes. The single was also featured on the soundtrack of Fox Broadcasting.
In 2004, Khia appeared on a track with Trick Daddy and Tampa Tony called "Jump On It" from Trick's album Thug Matrimony: Married to the Streets. Khia's second album was supposed to be released in 2003 by the title "Street Preacher". The album was complete by mid-2003, and was set for released by the end of 2003, but the album got shelved for unknown reasons. In 2006 Khia recorded another album to be her second album, Gangstress.
Khia's second album, Gangstress, was released in July 2006 on Phase One Communications. It debuted at #67 on the Billboard R&B chart. Later in 2006, Khia also collaborated with Janet Jackson on her hit "So Excited", which peaked at #90 on the Hot 100 and #1 on the Hot Dance Club Play chart.
2007–2008: Nasti Muzik, Boss Lady Mixtape
After signing to Big Cat Records, and still with her own label Thug Misses Entertainment, Khia finished working on her third studio album, Nasti Muzik, released on July 22, 2008. "What They Do" was the first promotional single on the album, which featured Atlanta rapper Gucci Mane. The first single, "Be Your Lady", was produced by Tampa's Push-a-Key Productions. Khia promoted the up-and-coming album by releasing a mixtape entitled The Boss Lady, which was hosted by DJ Scream.
Khia participated in the VH1 reality show Miss Rap Supreme in 2008. Khia was eliminated from the competition for rapping a song recorded prior to the show, "Respect Me". After the episode aired it was reported that “Respect Me” sold 200,000 copies.
2009–2012: Motor Mouf/Khia Shamone
Khia began working on her fourth album, MotorMouf aka Khia Shamone, in 2009. On May 4, 2010, she released the lead single from the album, "Been a Bad Girl". A video for the single was shot in New York by Clifton Bell. The song showed a different, more sensitive side of the rapper. Following its release, Khia stopped by a local ABC News show to promote the single. In 2010, she told the website HipHopDX that the album will feature her singing instead of rapping on some of its cuts. A second single, a smooth R&B song, "So Addicted", followed "Been a Bad Girl". That track was compiled on the Khia Shamone section of the album. She's since released the singles, "Pay Your Pussy Bill" and "Georgia" from the album. MotorMouf aka Khia Shamone was released on July 17, 2012.
2013–present : Love Locs, Queendom Cum, The Queen’s Court, GAG ORDER
The official "Love Locs" album cover was revealed on March 30, 2014 on Khia's Twitter, Instagram and Facebook pages. Khia released the You Deserve It video onto YouTube on May 29, 2014. On June 26, Khia announced via Twitter that the deluxe version was to contain 30 songs. She also revealed the deluxe edition cover art. The album was released on July 4.
Starting in 2017, Khia began hosting a weekly gossip web series entitled The Queen’s Court alongside friend Ts Madison. The show garners over 300,000 views per video. The two collaborated on the single "Next Caller," which also serves as the show's theme song. Khia left The Queen's Court after her disagreements with TS Madison after the February 5, 2018 show. Starting in March 5, 2018, Khia returned to solo vlogging with her new weekly webseries titled GAG ORDER.
- Thug Misses (2002)
- Street Preacher (2003) (Shelved)
- Gangstress (2006)
- Nasti Muzik (2008)
- MotorMouf aka Khia Shamone (2012)
- Love Locs (2014)
- Queendom Cum (2016)
- Next Caller (2019)
- Love Yourself Hoe (2014)
- Ignoring the Signs (2014)
- U.S. Public Records Index Vol 1 (Provo, UT: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.), 2010.
- Green, Tony (July 14, 2002). "Big hit was no surprise for rapper". St. Petersburg Times. Archived from the original on July 10, 2003. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- "Khia". Myspace. Retrieved November 10, 2010.
- Jacobs, Sonji (November 2002), "Risqué Business", Vibe, 10 (11), p. 116
- Reid, Shaheem (June 26, 2002). "Khia Shocked By Response To 'My Neck, My Back'". MTV News. Retrieved January 22, 2010.
- "Khia: Charts & Awards: Billboard Singles". allmusic. Retrieved January 22, 2010.
- Orzeck, Kurt (July 11, 2006). "New Releases: Thom Yorke, Muse, Sufjan Stevens, Seether, Peaches, Butch Walker, Phish, Pink Floyd & More". MTV News. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- "20 Y.O. > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". allmusic. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- Hatfield, Quinton (April 22, 2008). "Miss Rap Supreme Castaways: Khia". HipHopDX. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- "Been a Bad Girl – Khia [OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "Khia – Motor Mouf AKA Khia Shamone (Special)". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "Khia on ABC NEWS NOW". YouTube. 2010-06-09. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- Arnold, Paul W. (February 28, 2010). "Khia Launches Singing Career". HipHopDX. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
- "Khia – Touch Me / So Addicted ( in the studio)". YouTube. 2010-06-27. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "Khia Shamone". Facebook. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "Khia – 4real (new single)". YouTube. 2010-12-03. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "hot or not?, quran and hemp mag. ovntvradio on USTREAM. Magic". Ustream.tv. Retrieved 2012-04-13.