|• Official||Kokborok, English, Hindi and Bengali|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Culture
- 5 Economy
- 6 Education
- 7 Transport
- 8 Civic amenities
- 9 Recent events
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
Khumulwng was established in 1991. The TTAADC headquarters was shifted to the town from 1996 onwards.
It is situated 25 km from Agartala.
The most beautiful landmark of the town is the Kaunsil Nok (Council House) located right in the heart of the town. This structure houses the legislative body of the TTAADC (Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council).
The ethnic population are the Tripuri people formed about 99% in the area, rest are others. The local language is Kokborok. They have a distinct identity of their own. They are mongoliod people and speaks Sino-Tibetan language like the rest of Northeast India's Indigenous native peoples. They are different from the majority Bengali population of the state.
Various socio-cultural clubs are coming up to develop the local culture, flora and fauna. The cultural beauty and abundance in Khumulwng is invaluable. The town is a blend of tribal culture and the Christian influence. We see people celebrating the Goria Ter as well as the Christmas with much joyfulness. Most of the people, by profession, here are either government employees and their families or business oriented.
There are many Churches in and around the town area, most notably
- Khumulwng Baptist Church:- This church was established on 22 March 1998. Rev.Chuanshekhor Debbarma, Dn. Bhupendra Debbarma, Dn.Hemchandra Debbarma and many Christians of Khumulwng area had faced many barriers to established the Church at Khumulwng.At that time the church had a thatch roofed prayer house. It has now a beautiful Church building which was designed by Er. Dhaniram Debbarma and Er. Ranjit Debbarma and built during his 10 years tenure(2001–2010) as Secretary of the Church.This church has 471 members(AS per census 2010).
- Zion Baptist Church
- Joygobin Baptist Church
- Khakchangma Baptist Church
- Dashram Baptist Church
- Galili Baptist Church
- Immanuel Baptist Church
- Rangchak Baptist Church
- Mwichwnghar Baptist Church
- Believer's Church
- Presbyterian Church
There is also one GFA center in Khumulwng.
On every December a fair is organized by the group of local churches where people of all walks of life and from all faith participate to show their brotherhood.
Khumulwng act as the junction of transportation and business for the interior villages. It is fast emerging as the local business hub amongst the TTAADC.
The banks present in the town are:
- United Bank of India
- Tripura Gramin Bank
There are some markets in the town area catering to the growing needs of the town population. They are:
- Dukmali Hati, the main central market of the town
- Khumulwng Super Market
There are three important schools in Khumulwng. They are:
- Yakhili Academy, a privately run school by Sadar North Baptist Association.
- Khumpui Academy, school run by TTAADC.
- Eklayva High School, a central government school.
- Government Degree College, Khumulwng
- Government Polytechnic Institute, Khumulwng
- Industrial Training Institute, Khumulwng
Khumulwng Motor Stand
It is located in the center of the town and is a place for motor vehicles running to neighbouring towns of Agartala, Jirania and Jampuijala.
The nearest airport is Agartala Airport located about 35 km away.
Khumulwng has a Town-Hall situated near the Kaunsil Nok which is used by the people of the town for organizing various programs and functions.
Across the Town-Hall is a park, used often as a picnic spot which is surrounded on three sides by a man-made lake.
There is a government run hospital named as Kherengbar Hospital to serve the needs of the town and the surrounding population.
There is a stadium in the town constructed by the Government which hosts many events and parades.
The Kokborok Language Library is situated in Khumulwng near the stadium and is run by the TTAADC administration.
A huge gathering called Tripura Baptist Youth Fellowship was organized on 28–30 January 2005 in Khumulwng Baptist Church. The total delegation crossed 1500 strength. Delegates came from all over Tripura and even from Mizoram. Executives of TBCU, Zoram Baptist Mission and Evangelical Church of Maraland also took part in the fellowship. Different tribes of Tripura came and mingled with each other as if all were the same, like all in one, in Christ. The fellowship included Musical Meet, Discussions and Bible Classes.
- adc.twipra.com TTAADC website hosted by KOHM