Kimberly Hunt, News Anchor
10 News Evening Anchor (2008–Present)KUSI News Evening Anchor (2002–2007)
10 News Evening Anchor (1987–2002)
|Spouse(s)||Billy Ray Smith|
Kimberly Hunt, an Emmy Award winner, is a San Diego news anchor/reporter for KGTV. During her career, Hunt has interviewed sitting Presidents, Oprah Winfrey, and other military, political and business leaders. She has reported live from the Academy Awards, Super Bowl games, political conventions, and other events.
Early life and education
After graduation, Hunt went to work for ABC Network News as a researcher for Peter Jennings during the 1984 Democratic National Convention in San Francisco. At the close of the convention, she began working as an associate producer for ABC's Monday Night Football.
Hunt began her on-air television career at the CBS affiliate in Monterey, California. She relocated to San Diego in 1987 as an anchor for the ABC affiliate KGTV. For 15 years, Hunt co-anchored the evening newscasts with Carol LeBeau, the longest running female anchor team in the U.S. Hunt joined the KUSI News team in October 2002. For five years, she anchored the 6 p.m., 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. weeknight newscasts. Hunt was also a host of the weekend show San Diego People. In January 2008, Hunt rejoined the 10News team. She currently co-anchor's KGTV's 5 p.m., 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. weeknight newscasts with Steve Atkinson.
Hunt has been given four regional Emmy Awards for Best Investigative News Story, Best Feature News Story, Best Journalistic Enterprise and Best Evening Newscast. Her contributions to other reports and newscasts have also garnered additional Emmys. In 2011, Hunt won an Edward R. Murrow Award for her story, Tracking the Mexican Mafia - Inside Donovan State Prison. Hunt has earned other industry honors including two first place awards from the San Diego Press Club, for her coverage of Open Air Brothels in San Diego's canyons and her report on Sex Trafficking. She received a Golden Mic Award for a special titled Postcards From Home during the Persian Gulf War, which linked local Marines with their families via videotaped messages. She was also presented with the Attorney General's Crime Prevention Award.
Hunt has volunteered as Mistress of Ceremonies for such organizations as The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Dia Del Sol (United Cerebral Palsy), The March of Dimes, The San Diego Burn Institute, and the annual lighting of the Tree of Life, in support of Mama's Kitchen and the fight against HIV and AIDS. In April 2007, Hunt helped to launch the city's 1st annual Sleepless In San Diego, benefiting The San Diego Rescue Mission.
In March 2011, Hunt was honored by Soroptimist International for her investigative reports exposing the world of sex trafficking. In November 2007, Hunt and husband Billy Ray Smith were given the Legacy Award from Nonprofit Management Solutions for their charitable contributions in San Diego and abroad.
Hunt has emceed San Diego's annual Shop with a Cop, which pairs officers with underprivileged children, to provide them with holiday gifts. Hunt's family has a history of law enforcement service. Her father was a Lieutenant with the California Highway Patrol, and her grandfather was a constable with the Ojai Police Department.
- "Kimberly Hunt Biography". 10News.com. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- San Diego Woman magazine, "Kimberly Hunt: Making a Difference," January 2009
- "A woman's world: Longtime news anchor sums it up: 'Check the gender card at the door'". San Diego Community News Group. Retrieved 2012-11-06.
- San Diego Union-Tribune, "High-profile changes alter local TV news lineup," January 25, 2008
- "2011 Regional Edward R. Murrow Award Winners". RTDNA.org. 21 April 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "2010 Excellence in Journalism Awards" (PDF). SDPressClub.org. 19 October 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 23 July 2011.
- San Diego Union-Tribune, "Biobytes: Kimberly Hunt, KUSI anchor/reporter," May 31, 2004
- 2010 Well Healed Gala at CFFGala.com - September - 2010
- Deluca, Alexandra. Dia Del Sol Raises Record Amount for United Cerebral Palsey - at North County Times. - Saturday, October 28, 2006 - Retrieved, October 28, 2006
- PRNewswire-USNewswire. 36 Military Moms-To-Be Get Dream Baby Shower Courtesy of March of Dimes and Operation Shower - at PRNewswire-USNewswire. - Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - Retrieved, February 7, 2011
- 13th Annual Burn Run/FIRE EXPO - at Burn Institute Newsletter - Vol. XXXIV, No. 2 - July, 2003 (Adobe Acrobat *.PDF document)
- Ralston, Rachel. Tree of Life Ceremony Held In Hillcrest - at Gay and Lesbian Times. - Thursday, 04-Dec-2003 - Retrieved, December 4, 2003
- Sleepless In San Diego - at TheRockSanDiego.org - April 28, 2007
- Rancho Bernardo Soroptimists Honor Poway Woman at PowayPatch.com - March - 2011
- "Salute To Excellence Awards Program". NPSolutions.org. 30 November 2007.
- "Shop with a Cop - San Diego County". Wivesbehindthebadge.org. Archived from the original on 2010-05-31. Retrieved 2010-09-23.