A specific ban (German: Bann) identified:
- the actual order or prohibition
- the penalties for contravening the ban
- the region to which the ban applied
The king's ban in the legal history of the Holy Roman Empire was divided into several distinct types depending on their function:
- Heerbann, the right to raise an army,
- Blutbann (blood courts; high jurisdiction which included capital punishment),
- Friedensbann (special royal protection of people and property),
- Verordnungsbann (the authority to decide legal standards) and
- Verwaltungsbann (the force to be used).
- Ban, the general power to command
- Imperial ban, decree of outlawry in the Holy Roman empire
- Zwing und Bann, lower level jurisdiction in Switzerland
- Anathema, called Kirchenbann in German
- Mittellateinisches Wörterbuch, I 1967, Sp. 1341 - 1348 s.v. bannus
- Heinrich Mitteis; Heinz Lieberich, Deutsche Rechtsgeschichte. Ein Studienbuch. Munich, 1974 u.ö.