King Estate Winery
|King Estate Winery|
|Location||Eugene, Oregon, USA|
|Other labels||Domaine, Signature, Acrobat by King Estate, NxNW (North by Northwest), next: by King Estate, Lorane Valley|
|Key people||Ed King III, Ed King, Jr.|
|Known for||Pinot gris & Pinot noir|
|Varietals||Pinot gris, Pinot noir, Chardonnay, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah|
King Estate Winery is an organic winery located southwest of Eugene, Oregon, United States near the community of Lorane. Matt Kramer of The Oregonian considers King Estate the benchmark producer of Pinot gris (aka Pinot grigio) in the country. While the winery also makes Pinot noir and limited amounts of Chardonnay, it is mainly credited with bringing the Pinot gris grape varietal into national consciousness.
The winery was founded in 1991 by Ed King, Jr. and his son, Ed King III. The estate itself, at 1,033 acres (4.18 km2), is Oregon Tilth Certified Organic and includes 465 acres (1.88 km2) of organic vineyards, as well as 30 acres (120,000 m2) of fruits, vegetables and flowers. The visitor center features a restaurant and wine bar. Complimentary wine tasting and winery tours are available as well as full lunch and dinner menus that incorporate estate and locally grown organic ingredients.
In the 2007 edition of Wine & Spirits magazine's annual restaurant poll, a survey of only the top Zagat rated restaurants across the United States, King Estate Pinot gris was the number one ranked domestic wine in the Pinot gris/Pinot grigio category, and number two overall in the category, the highest rank for an Oregon producer in the 18-year history of the poll.
King Estate Winery is Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth one of the most rigorous and stringent certifying bodies in the United States. The estate is 1,033 acres (4.18 km2) and with 465 acres (1.88 km2) planted to grapes is recognized as the world's largest contiguous organic vineyard. In 2005, King Estate was recognized by Oregon Tilth as the Organic producer of the year.
King Estate has always highlighted the importance of producing food friendly wines and has established a fine-dining restaurant on the estate which sources organic ingredients from the estate gardens. During the 1990s King Estate published two cookbooks, each of which focuses on recipes designed to pair with their two core varietals, Pinot gris and Pinot noir. King Estate's New American Cuisine King Estate Pinot Gris Cookbook and New American Cuisine King Estate Pinot Noir Cookbook were written in conjunction with the 13-part New American Cuisine television series broadcast by PBS and other public television stations nationwide. In 1997, New American Cuisine was nominated for the prestigious James Beard Award for best national cooking series. The cookbooks contain recipes contributed by world-renowned celebrity chefs including Alice Waters, Roy Yamaguchi, Charlie Trotter, and Jean-Georges Vongerichten.
- Cole, K. "In The Shadow of Spendier Siblings" The Oregonian, October 14, 2008.
- Kramer, Matt. "Matt Kramer On Wine", The Oregonian, January 4, 2009.
- Comiskey, P. "Oregon Pinot Gris Puts Some Flash in the Glass," Los Angeles Times, February 6, 2008.
- Rex-Johnson, B. "Organic Wines Come of Age," Seattle Times, June 29, 2008.
- McCoy, H.C."The Artistry of Fine Wine Making at King Estate," Archived 2009-02-24 at the Wayback Machine. Casual Flavors, September 1, 2008.
- Gording, R. "America's Favorite Restaurants," Archived 2008-11-20 at the Wayback Machine. Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel, June 1, 2008.
- Firstenfeld, Jane "California Domaintes Restaurant Sales - Wine & Spirits survey reveals prices, favorites and trends." Wines & Vines, March 06, 2008.
- Hoc, A. "5/18: Jackalope Grill-King Estate Wine Dinner." ad HOC: Words + Ideas, May 9, 2008.
- Goode, Jamie "Oregon Wine Country," The Wine Anorak, July 30, 2008.
- James, Ron "Perfect Pairings," Archived 2010-11-17 at the Wayback Machine. The San Diego Union-Tribune, October 15, 2005.
- Pumper, M. "King Estate Winery November 2001 - Eugene Travel Guide," BootsnAll Travel, November, 2001.
- "Stephanie Pearl Kimmock Biography & Work History Archived 2009-02-10 at the Wayback Machine.
- Kimmel, Stephanie Pearl (1995). New American Cuisine King Estate Pinot Gris Cookbook. Lorane, OR: King Estate Winery. ISBN 0-9645500-0-8.