King (pop band)
|Genres||Pop, dance-pop, pop rap|
King, stylised KING, is an English pop/hip hop quartet, started in 1997. The band consisted originally of five siblings, Trillion, Queenie, Jazzy, Ruby and Lucius. In November 2013 Jazzy and Ruby left the quintett to form their own band Blonde Electra and their younger sister Jemima joined the group.
The three eldest siblings were born in India and the two younger ones in Ukraine. All were home-schooled by their father, Michael Jaffray King (British) and mother, Irmgard King (German). They were raised in over 30 countries throughout the world. Due to being born in different countries, all siblings hold a number of different passports and have dual citizenship. They are fluent in four languages.
Their music and performance is characterised by electronic raps, big melodic choruses and unique fashion styles.
They began their professional singing careers in 1997 and quickly moved on to do TV and radio shows in several different countries around the world. In 1998, Word Records/Warner Music Group (US) approached the group and offered them a $4 million recording contract which was, however, rejected by both parents as they felt the siblings were too young to take on the music business at that time.
In January 2008, their debut single "Carry Me Home" was released and made it into the German Single Charts. Only three months later, the album of the same name, as well as the second single "Perfect Day" appeared, which also reached a position in the charts. A tour throughout Germany, TV appearances and numerous public performances followed.
In June 2009, the siblings parted ways with EMI. They renamed their band to 'KING' and moved to the US to pursue their musical careers. This move was supported by the American music manager Doc McGhee (long time manager of Kiss. The German TV channel VOX documented this journey for their series Goodbye Deutschland! Die Auswanderer. The band has written with songwriters and producers with the likes of Grammy Award winner Glen Ballard, Bonnie McKee, Mitch Allan, Jon Ingoldsby and Justin Trugman.
- Trillion (born 2 March 1985 as Michael Phillip King in Pune, India)
- Queenie (born 16 July 1987 as Marieangela King in Bombay, India)
- David Lucius King (born 3 February 1995 in Perechyn, Ukraine)
- Jemima (born 17 April)
- Jazzy (born 19 February 1990 as Jasmina King in Bombay, India)
- Ruby (born 7 May 1992 as Natalia King in Uzhgorod, Ukraine)
|2008||Carry Me Home||–||–||–|
|2008||"Carry Me Home"
VÖ: 25. January 2008
|70||–||–||Carry Me Home|
VÖ: 4. April 2008
- Official Facebook page for KING[non-primary source needed]
- "Die King Family! – Musik & Charts – Stars". bravo.de. Archived from the original on 8 July 2009. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- Daniel, Hugo (5 February 2014). "Cher's son Elijah Blue reveals rift with famous mother after he eloped to marry girl and his recovery from heroin addiction in explosive new interview". Daily Mail. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- "Star2meet.de Biographie". Stars2meet.de. 25 April 2008. Archived from the original on 13 March 2012. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- EMI Music Germany. "EMImusic". Emimusic.de. Archived from the original on 4 March 2012. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- Von Klaus Brandt (23 April 2008). "Stars im Nahkampf mit der Zielgruppe" (in German). DerWesten.de. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Messerückschau 01 – 2009". Pro Arte. 15 April 2009. Archived from the original on 13 September 2012. Retrieved 28 June 2009.
- NickGoossen YouTube channel