This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Genres||Christian alternative rock, CCM, indie rock|
|Labels||Tooth & Nail, Independent|
Kings Kaleidoscope is an American Christian alternative rock band based in Seattle. Their style is defined by an eclectic range of modern, woodwind, string and brass instruments. This combination of electronic and analogue soundscapes is characteristic of both Motown and math rock. Singer/songwriter Chad Gardner is the band's lead singer. Kings Kaleidoscope has recorded 5 EP’s, and three critically acclaimed LPs, Becoming Who We Are, Beyond Control, and The Beauty Between.
Led by producer/singer/songwriter Chad Gardner, the group formed in 2010 on the campus of the University of Washington, where Gardner was a leader. Looking for a big, orchestral indie pop sound, he assembled a ten-piece group, handpicking players and developing their lush sound. Sporting a variety of influences from math rock and hip-hop to the dense sound of Canadian indie outfit Broken Social Scene, Kings Kaleidoscope recorded their first live EP, Sin, at a Good Friday service in 2011. A year later, they released the studio EP, Asaph's Arrows, shortly followed by a Christmas EP, Joy Has Dawned. In late 2013, Their fourth EP, 2014's Live in Color, was released by BadChristian Music, a label formed by Seattle post-hardcore band Emery. Working with BadChristian Music and well-established indie label Tooth & Nail Records, Kings Kaleidoscope finally issued their debut LP, Becoming Who We Are, on October 27, 2014. Before Chad Gardner wrote the songs for the album, Becoming Who We Are, his son died. The song "Zion", commemorates his son's death. Their sophomore concept album Beyond Control released June 24, 2016, and has been the bands most commercially successful release to-date. A year after the launch of “Beyond Control,” Chad Gardner, the band’s frontman, drew inspiration from new friendships for the mixtape "The Beauty Between," released on August 17, 2017. The mixtape features several collaborations with hip-hop artists and producers, including: Propaganda, Andy Mineo, Beautiful Eulogy, Derek Minor, Beleaf, DSTL and more. The mixtape also featured artwork by Tobias Gutmann, an artist based in Zürich, Switzerland.
- Chad Gardner - vocals, guitar, keyboards, production, tambourine
- Andrew Nyte - drums, vocals
- Zack Walkingstick - bass, synth, vocals
- Zawadi Morrow - keyboards, flute, violin, saxophone, vocals
- Blake Strickland - trombone, vocals
- Jared Buck - guitar, vocals
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|Becoming Who We Are||171||9|
|The Beauty Between||98||4|
- The Beauty Between (August 18, 2017)
- . Prometheus Global Media http://www.billboard.com/artist/]]. Retrieved January 7, 2015. Missing or empty
- "Kings Kaleidoscope Album & Song Chart History (Albums)". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 7, 2015.
- "Becoming Who We Are – Kings Kaleidoscope". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved January 7, 2015.
- "Beyond Control by Kings Kaleidoscope on iTunes". Apple Inc. Retrieved June 24, 2016.
- "The Beauty Between – Kings Kaleidoscope". Allmusic. Apple Inc. Retrieved August 18, 2017.