Kirsten Beyer (left) and Nicholas Meyer (right) at Star Trek Mission New York (2016)
|Education||UCLA, Master of Fine Arts and Acting|
Kirsten Beyer is an American science fiction writer, best known for her novels based on the Star Trek: Voyager television series. She is a staff writer for Star Trek: Discovery, and functions as the coordinator for Discovery tie-in media, such as comic books and novels, on behalf of CBS.
She has also written for the Buffyverse.
Little is known of Beyer's career prior to her involvement with Star Trek: Voyager.
After corresponding with Voyager show runner Jeri Taylor and expressing an interest in writing for television, Beyer was invited to pitch for the series. She pitched stories from seasons five (1998) until seven (2000), but none were produced.
Beyer was encouraged to send a query package to Pocket Books by her writing partner, Heather Jarman, sometime prior to 2005. Her query was accepted, and development of a new Voyager tie-in novel began. However, the editor leading the development at the time moved on to other projects, and the novel under development was never realized. Beyer was later introduced to Marco Palmieri, editor of the Star Trek line at Pocket Books, while attending the Shore Leave science fiction convention with Jarman. Palmieri agreed to accept samples of her work, and invited Beyer to write for him a few days later.
Beyer's first novel with Palmieri was Fusion (2005), the second book in the Voyager: String Theory miniseries. A subplot of the novel, involving the Vulcan character Tuvok, was originally pitched as an episode of Voyager, titled "Siren's Song". Another un-produced pitch was reworked as the short story "Isabo's Shirt", anthologized in Distant Shores (2005). Beyer becoming the lead writer of the Voyager novel series, replacing Christie Golden, with the release of Full Circle in March 2009. She has completed nine novels since 2000, with a tenth planned.
In May 2016, Beyer was hired as a staff writer for Star Trek: Discovery. She believes she was recruited because of her familiarity with Star Trek canon, and because of her experience as a tie-in fiction writer. She has contributed to the Discovery comics line published by IDW from its first issue.
Beyer regularly attends science fiction conventions such as Star Trek Las Vegas, Shore Leave, and Dragon Con. She frequently appears as a guest on Star Trek-focused podcasts to promote her book releases, and to discuss Discovery production news.
Star Trek: Voyager novels are published by Simon & Schuster.
(String Theory, Book 2)
|Kirsten Beyer||October 25, 2005||1-4165-0955-0|
|Distant Shores (anthology)
—"Isabo's Shirt" by Kirsten Beyer
|Marco Palmieri, ed.||November 1, 2005||0-7434-9253-6|
|Full Circle||Kirsten Beyer||March 31, 2009||978-1-4165-9496-3|
|Unworthy||September 29, 2009||978-1-4391-0398-2|
|Children of the Storm||May 31, 2011||978-1-4516-0718-5|
|The Eternal Tide||August 28, 2012||978-1-4516-6818-6|
|Protectors||January 28, 2014||978-1-4767-3854-3|
|Acts of Contrition||September 30, 2014||978-1-4767-6551-8|
|Atonement||August 25, 2015||978-1-4767-9081-7|
|A Pocket Full of Lies||January 26, 2016||978-1-4767-9084-8|
|Architects of Infinity||March 27, 2018||978-1-5011-3876-8|
|To Lose the Earth (forthcoming)||October 13, 2020||978-1-5011-3883-6|
Star Trek: Discovery comics are published by IDW Publishing. Beyer is credited as "Comic story writer", with Mike Johnson.
|The Light of Kahless, Issue 1||November 29, 2017||The Light of Kahless, Vol. 1||August 8, 2018||978-1-63140-989-9|
|The Light of Kahless, Issue 2||January 24, 2018|
|The Light of Kahless, Issue 3||March 14, 2018|
|The Light of Kahless, Issue 4||May 30, 2018|
|Succession, Issue 1||April 18, 2018||Succession, Vol. 1||October 9, 2018||978-1-68405-360-5|
|Succession, Issue 2||May 23, 2018|
|Succession, Issue 3||June 27, 2018|
|Succession, Issue 4||August 1, 2018|
|Star Trek: Discovery Annual 2018||March 28, 2018|
|Captain Saru (special issue)||March 13, 2019||—||—||—|
|Aftermath, Issue 1||September 4, 2019||Aftermath, Vol. 1 (forthcoming)||Apr 14, 2020||978-1-68405-650-7|
|Aftermath, Issue 2||September 25, 2019|
|Aftermath, Issue 3||November 20, 2019|
Star Trek: Picard – Countdown comic miniseries serves as a prequel to Star Trek: Picard. Artist is Angel Hernández.
|1||November 27, 2019||Countdown, Vol. 1 (forthcoming)||June 30, 2020||978-1-68405-694-1|
|2||December 18, 2019|
|3||January 29, 2020|
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (2008)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer novels are published by Simon & Schuster
Short fiction (2009)
- "Widow's Weed's", Space Grunts: Full Throttle Space Tales No. 3, (May 14, 2009), Dayton Ward, ed., Flying Pen Press ISBN 978-0-9818957-4-1.
|2017–2019||Star Trek: Discovery||Staff writer / Story editor (29 episodes)|
Episode: "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" (written by)
Episode: "Saints of Imperfection" (written by)
|2019||Star Trek: Short Treks||Episode: "Children of Mars" (written by)|
|2020||Star Trek: Picard||Co-Creator / Executive producer|
Episode: "Remembrance" (story by)
- "Getting to Know Kirsten Beyer". Star Trek. November 6, 2017. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- "INTERVIEW: Discovery Writer, Voyager Novelist Kirsten Beyer". Star Trek. September 23, 2017. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- Ayers, Jeff (November 14, 2006). Voyages of Imagination: The Star Trek Fiction Companion. New York: Pocket Books. pp. 299–301. ISBN 9781416503491.
- Deffner, Jens (April 5, 2009). "Kirsten Beyer interview". Unreality-SF.net. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- "Kirsten Beyer Unleashes a Storm". Star Trek. May 31, 2011. Retrieved November 1, 2017.
- Fletcher, Harry (June 1, 2016). "Star Trek TV show hires Voyager novelist Kirsten Beyer". Digital Spy. Retrieved November 1, 2017.
- "A Ship Full of Legends". Literary Treks (Podcast). Trek.fm. April 8, 2018. Retrieved January 25, 2020.
- FitzPatrick, Kevin (May 30, 2016). "CBS 'Star Trek' 2017 Adds 'Voyager' Novels Writer to Staff". ScreenCrush. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- Martinelli, Marissa (September 21, 2017). "How shows like Star Trek: Discovery stick to canon". Slate. ISSN 1091-2339. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- Johnston, Rich (July 19, 2017). "Star Trek: Discovery's Kirsten Beyer Behind Spinoff Comic, Starting In October, From IDW". Bleeding Cool News and Rumors. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- Beyer, Kirsten (October 13, 2020). To Lose the Earth. Star Trek: Voyager. New York: Pocket Books/Star Trek. ISBN 9781501138836.
- "Star Trek: Discovery – Aftermath". IDW Publishing. Retrieved January 25, 2020.