Knud Rasmussen-class patrol vessel
HDMS Knud Rasmussen (P570)
|Operators:||Royal Danish Navy|
|Preceded by:||Agdlek class cutter|
|Type:||Ocean patrol crafts.|
|Displacement:||1,720 tons (2,050 t full load)|
|Beam:||14.6 m (47 ft 11 in)|
|Draft:||4.9 m (16 ft 1 in)|
|Propulsion:||2 x MAN B&W Diesel ALPHA 8L27/38 generating 2,720 kW (3,650 hp) each through RENK reduction gear "Twin in/single out"|
|Speed:||17 kn (31 km/h)|
|Range:||3,000 nautical miles (5,600 km)|
|Boats & landing
|1 x SB90E for Search and rescue, 1x 7m (60 HP) RHIB, 1 x 4.8m (45 HP) RHIB|
|Complement:||18 + aircrew and transients (Accommodation for up to 43 in total)|
|Aviation facilities:||Aft helicopter deck, no hangar|
The Knud Rasmussen-class is a class of offshore patrol vessel operating in the Royal Danish Navy from 2008. Built to replace the Agdlek-class patrol cutters on a one-by-one basis, the Knud Rasmussen vessels are significantly larger, enabling patrols further offshore.
The ships' normal tasks include fisheries inspections, environment protection, search and rescue, sovereignty enforcement, icebreaker assignments, towage and salvage operations and general assistance to the Danish and Greenland governments (including police tasks). The class has a helicopter deck aft behind the superstructure but lacks an aircraft hangar. However, it can perform Rotors running refueling and can thus increase the endurance and the range of the helicopter. December 2013 a third ship of the class (HDMS LAUGE KOCH) was appropriated by the Danish Parliament. Service entry of the third ship will be 2016, with an estimated cost of 513 mill Dkr (US$ 91.4 million).
The standard armament consists of two 12.7 millimetres (0.50 in) heavy machine guns. This is supplemented by the two Stanflex modulary mission payload slots (one on the foredeck, the other aft of the superstructure), which can be fitted with a multi-purpose gun, surface-to-air missiles, or ASW torpedoes, along with other non-weapon payloads. Another two container positions are "prepared for" but not installed on the starboard and port sides of the heli deck.
List of ships
|Name||Int'l c/s||Shipyard||Laid down||Launched||In service||Christened by||Decommissioned|
|P570||Knud Rasmussen||OVFG||Karstensens Skibsværft||2005-11-21||2006-10-19||2008-02-18||-|
|P571||Ejnar Mikkelsen||OVFH||Karstensens Skibsværft||2007-06-01||2009-01-16||-|
|P572||Lauge Koch||Karstensens Skibsværft||2014-05||2017 estimated|
- "Knud Rasmussen commissioned: First new Arctic Offshore Patrol Vessel Commissioned". Royal Danish Navy. 2008-02-18. Archived from the original on 2009-09-12.
- "Knud Rasmussen Class (2008-)". Royal Danish Navy. 2007-11-19. Archived from the original on 2009-09-12.
- "Second OPV in Skagen: Both new Off Shore Patrol Vessels together for the first time". Royal Danish Navy. 2007-11-19. Archived from the original on 2009-09-12.
- "An Overview of Current, On-Going Danish Naval projects 2005-2009 Knud Rasmussen class Ice-Resistant OPV (Offshore Patrol Vessel)". Canadian American Strategic Review. May 2008. Archived from the original on 2009-09-12. Retrieved 2009-08-02.
-  (Official presentation (Danish))