|Location||489 Glenferrie Road
|Owner||Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club|
It was the venue for the Australian Open, whenever that tournament was held in Melbourne, becoming the permanent venue from 1972-1987. Kooyong holds the distinction of being the last Australian Open venue to play on grass courts. The tournament was moved to the hard courts of Melbourne Park in 1988. The surface was grass courts. Now a hard-court surface, it remains the venue for the AAMI Classic exhibition tournament.
Kooyong has also hosted several Davis Cup ties and finals, including the epic 1986 Davis Cup Final which saw Australia defeat two time defending champions Sweden 3-2 in late December. The stadium will host a tie for the 2016 Davis Cup against the USA in March 2016 on a portable grass court.
The venue has also hosted several concerts:
- On 24 October 1971 Elton John performed a concert there.
- In February 1972, English rock group Led Zeppelin held a large open-air concert at the venue as part of its Australasian Tour.
- On 13 January 1973 Black Sabbath performed a concert there.
- On 17–18 February 1973, The Rolling Stones played three shows there as part of their 1973 Pacific Tour.
- In February 1986, Bob Dylan performed three concerts there.
- In November 1987, David Bowie performed four concerts at the venue.
- A Rich History
- Australian Open at Kooyong Stadium
- "Davis Cup clash between Australia and United States to be hosted at Kooyong". ABC News. 24 December 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
|This article about a sports venue in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a tennis venue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in Victoria (Australia) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|