It was established in the 1980s by Anant Narkkong, the present musical director of the ensemble, who is a professor of ethnomusicology and composition at the Faculty of Music, Silpakorn University, Thailand He also airs a radio program of Thai music at the Thailand National Radio Broadcasting.
The group plays Thai classical, or piphat, as well as Thai contemporary music. Throughout the past 20 years, Korphai has released a number of albums and performed in numerous public concerts in Thailand, including a performance with the Bangkok Symphony Orchestra. The group has also performed abroad, including Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Paris, Amsterdam and Berlin.
The groups is also involved in the music used in Thai films, documentaries, theatres, plays, and festival presentations, such as "Thai Percussion Days 2004" (Vienna). Their music was used in the Thai films, The Legend of Suriyothai (2001) and The Overture (2004). The Overture won Best Music with Kor Phai named as co-recipient in Star Entertainment Awards 2004 and Bangkok Critics Assembly Awards
In 2005, at the concert dedicated to the 55th anniversary of Thai-Cambodian diplomatic relations at the Chaktomuk Theatre, the performance of the ensemble "won accolades from members of Cambodian royal family", Bangkok Post reported.
- 2007 - Korphai : Bamboo Songs Bamboo Sounds
- 2004 - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack: The Overture
- 2003 - Homrak Hom Rong (The Delightful Overture) (Label: Nong Taprachan)
- Ratree Pradap Dao
Korphai CD bio
1991 "The starry night" Thai string ensemble; compositions by H.M.King Rama VII
1992 "The Khmer spy" Experimental ensemble; various composers before 1930
1999 "The white foreigner" Thai strings with organ, violin and Cimbalon; compositions by Luang Pradithphairoh
2000 "Elephant eats bamboo leaves" Piphat mainuam ensemble; compositions by Luang Pradithphairoh
2001 "Song of Lamentation" Mahoree ensemble; compositions by Luang Pradithphairoh
2001 "A tribute to Luang Pradithphairoh" Angkalung with electronics; compositions by Luang Pradithphairoh
2003 "Kru Banlengʼs Children Songs" Piphat mainuam ensemble with vocals; compositions by kru Bangleng Sagarik
2003 "Sleeping Angel" Thai string ensemble; compositions by kru Meekhaek
2003 "Cheerful Lady" Thai string ensemble; compositions by kru Meekhaek
2004 "Movie soundtrack: The Overture" Piphat ensemble and Ranat ek solo; compositions by Luang Pradithphairoh Arr : Chaibhuk Patrachinda, Anant Narkkong, Boonrat Siriratnabhan
2004 "The Great Chaopraya Composer" Piphat mainuam ensemble; compositions by Luang Pradithphairoh
2004 "The Delightful Overture" various Piphat ensembles and Ranat ek solo; compositions by Luang Pradithphairoh, kru Boonyong Kethkong, khun charoendontreekan
2004 "Lovely Fillings, Lovely Feelings" various Piphat ensembles and saw ou solo; compositions by Chaibhuk Patrachinda, kru Kloy na Bangchang, Prince Pichaimahintarodom, kru Meekhaek, Tuangsri Worrawan, Luang Pradithphairoh
2005 "The Overture" Original music from the traditional Thai Puppet Theatre, Collaboration work: Korphai and Joe Louise Theatre
2007 "Bamboo Sounds, Bamboo Songs". Judprakai Concert Series, Nation Press.
International Tour Data
1999 USA University of Illinois, Dhammaram Temple Chicago, Kent State University Ohio
2002 MALAYSIA Lecture-Demonstration: Center of Southeast Asian Studies, University of Malaya Concert: Soka Gakkai Malaysia, Wisma Kebudayaan SGM, Kualalumpur
2003 MALAYSIA Concert: Soka Gakkai Malaysia, Wisma Kebudayaan SGM, Kualalumpur
2004 AUSTRIA Workshop on Thai Percussion days, University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna Concert: Konzerthaus, Vienna Concert: Argekultur, Salzburg Concert and Workshop: Freistadt
2004 UNITED KINGDOM Workshop-Lecture: School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London Concert: Thai Music Circle, the Royal Thai Embassy, London
2004 SCOTLAND Workshop and Concerts: Intercultural Music Festival, Edinburgh Workshop - Thai and Chinese Music, Glasgow
2004 MALAYSIA Concert: Tribute to H.M. Queen Sirikit, the Royal Thai Embassy, Kualalumpur Lecture-Demonstration: The International Islamic University, Kualalumpur
2004 SOUTH KOREA Concert: Asia-Pacific Night, CISAC World Congress, COEX Convention and Exhibition Center, SOUL Lecture and Demonstration: Chung Ang University – Soeul, Keimyang University – Daegu, Ulsan University (World Music Conference)
2005 MACAO Concert: Thai Night, 54th PATA World Conference.
2005 TAIWAN Concert: the National Chiang Kai-Shek Cultural Center, Taipei, the Republic of China
2005 FRANCE Concert: 4th Queille Festival, Toulouse, the Queille trust. In memory of Peter Rage, the tsunami victims.
2005 CAMBODIA Concert: 50th Anniversary of Thai-Cambodian Diplomacy relationship Performed at the Royal Thai Embassy and Chatumuk Concert Hall, PhnomPenh
2006 CAMBODIA Concert: 50th Anniversary of Thai-Cambodian Diplomacy relationship Collaboration with artists from the Royal University of Fine Arts Phnom Penh, Performed at the Royal Thai Embassy PhnomPenh
2006 SWITZERLAND Concert: Swiss Red Cross Ball, Niut des Orchidees, Geneva
2006 TAIWAN Concert: Tribute to H.M. King Bhumipol in 60th anniversary of royal coronation, Taipei
2008 SCOTLAND Concert: "Dialogue of Wind and Bamboo" Intercultural Music Festival, Edinburgh
2009 KOREA Joint Workshop of the ASEAN-Korea Traditional Music Orchestra, Seoul
1983 National Music Contest, the national theatre
2004 "The Overture" Best Film Music and Score, Hamburger Award
2005 "The Overture" Best Film Music and Score, Thailand Critics Association
2005 "The Overture" Best Film Music, Thailand Media Association
Fields of Korpahi musical works
1. Traditional Thai Music: Piphat, Mahoree, Kruangsai Ancient repertoire and selected compositions from famous Thai composers.
2. Folk-Pop music Variety of songs; ranging from Thai folks to international popular music.
3. Fusion Jazz music Variety of Thai songs rearranged in fusion style.
4. Asian-mix Musics of Southeast Asian; rearranged in flexible performance style including stage movements.
5. experimental music Improvisations & Compositions from modern Thai composers plus multi-media presentations.
6. Theatre Music / Film Music
Mr. Anant Narkkong - Music Director, Percussions // work: Lecturer, Faculty of Music, SilpakornUniversity
Mr.Prasarn Wongwirojrak - Vibraphone, Percussions // work: Manager, Siammusica Ltd.
Mr. Chaibhuk Bhutrachinda - Composer, Gongs, Electric Guitar // work: Government officer, the office of Industrial standardization, Ministry of Industry
Mr. Asdavuth Sagarik - Ranat, gongs, khim, Photographer // work: Lecturer, College of Music, Mahidol University
Mr. Banhan Palo - Drums, Instruments Tuner // work: Music teacher, St. Gabrielʼs school Bangkok
Mr. Lerkiat Mahavinijchaimontri - Fiddle, coordinator // work:: Government officer, the Institute of Music and Drama, Fine Arts Department, Ministry of Culture
Mr. Thawisak Akarawong - Leading Xylophone // work:: Government officer, the Institute of Music and Drama, Fine Arts Department, Ministry of Culture
Mr. Tossaporn Tassana - Drums, technician // work: Security System Expert
Ms. Kanokporn Tassana - Singer // work: Voice Instructor
Mr. Amon Bhuthanu - Keyboar, Gongs, xylophone // work: Freelance
Mr. Akkrapon Apicho - Bass // work: Security System Expert
- SGI Quarterly April, 2005 - Arts and Education
- "Percussion Festival" (Austria) (German)
- Encuentro Musical Tailandés/"Anant Narkkong" (Spanish)
- "Meet the Thai Music", Diario Diplomatico Online (Chile), retrieved December 5, 2007 (Spanish)
- BSO hooked on classics, retrieved 2007-12-07
- The Overture profile at the Seattle International Film Festival
- From the review of The Overture: "With a soundtrack of meticulously crafted music by the Kor Phai ensemble, the movie has wiped out the view that Thai classical music is outdated and dull." In: "Movie acts as wake-up call for the young", Bangkok Post, 29 February 2003
- Star Entertainment Awards 2004 at sanook.com (Thai)
-  (Thai)
- "Coming together Through Music", Bangkok Post, October 1, 2005 (a copy of the article is archived here)
- "Bamboo Songs Bamboo Sounds" CD info
- Original Motion Picture Soundtrack: The Overture, liner notes
- ThaiCDexpress.com - Complete Thai Entertainment Online Store!, Thai CD, Thai VCD, Thai Movies, Thai Music, World Wide Delivery