|Genres||Symphonic metal, power metal, gothic metal|
|Years active||2001–2012 (Hiatus)|
|Labels||Synergy Records, Liberatio Music|
Krypteria is a symphonic power metal/gothic metal band from Aachen, Germany. Originating from a 2001 "pop musical theatre studio project" of the same name, the idea was to use different vocalists, though German-Korean singer Ji-In Cho assumed the role of lead vocalist in 2004. One self-titled studio album was released under this moniker (later edited and re-released as Liberatio).
In 2001 the future Krypteria members (Chris Siemons, Frank Stumvoll and S.C. Kuschnerus) worked together to record a fantasy-musical CD. There was no vocalist at that time, because they wanted to record the CD with many different voices. In 2003, the album Krypteria was released. Approximately one year later, in 2004 a tsunami occurred in India and the German TV station RTL asked them to re-record the song "Liberatio" as a benefit single. Ji-In Cho, was chosen as the lead vocalist for the song and Sony/BMG, decided to re-release an edited version of their first album under the same name.
In 2004, from that project, Krypteria the band was officially born. Although Siemons and Kuschnerus played a leading role in the recording of the album Liberatio, the band does not consider it an official release. A year later their "true" first album, In Medias Res, was released.
Krypteria's second recording was the EP entitled Evolution Principle, released in 2006. A review by the German edition of Metal Hammer marked it as an important release of contemporary gothic metal in Germany.
On January 19, 2007, Krypteria released their third recording (and second full-length studio album), entitled Bloodangel's Cry. The title comes from the track "The Night All Angels Cry"' lyrics.
In early 2008, the band announced that they were working on their third studio album My Fatal Kiss, which they released as follows:
- on August 28, 2009 - Germany;
- on January 29, 2010 - the rest of Europe.
In Spring/Summer 2010 My Fatal Kiss was released worldwide.
The band's fourth studio album All Beauty Must Die was released on April 22, 2011 on the band's own label Liberatio Music. Peaking on position 24 in the German Media Control Charts it is Krypteria's most successful release so far.
It was announced in 2012 that the band would be going on hiatus due to Ji-In's pregnancy.
|2005||In Medias Res||Synergy||66||86||—|
|2009||My Fatal Kiss||Roadrunner||63||—||—|
|2011||All Beauty Must Die||Liberatio||24||—||—|
denotes an unofficial release
- Evolution Principle (2006), Synergy Records
|"Victoriam Speramus"||89||—||—||In Medias Res|
|2007||"Somebody Save Me"||—||—||—||Bloodangel's Cry|
|2009||"Ignition"||—||—||—||My Fatal Kiss|
|"For You I'll Bring the Devil Down"||—||—||—|
|2011||"You Killed Me"||—||—||—||All Beauty Must Die|
|"Live To Fight Another Day"||—||—||—|
|"BVB Meisterhymne 2011"||6||—||—||Non-album single|
denotes an unofficial release
- "Krypteria: Heimkehr mit Konzert im Alten Schlachthof" [Krypteria: Coming Home with a Concert in the Old Butchery]. Aachener Nachrichten (in German). 26 September 2011. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Krypteria Official Website
- Brown, Marisa. "Krypteria Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2011-04-19.
- Florek, Daniela (2011). "Krypteria – Der richtige Start". Sonic Seducer (in German). Vol. 18 no. 5 (Thomas Vogel Media). pp. 30–32.
- "Liberatio". Krypteria official website. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Krypteria: an interview by Musica Metal". Musica Metal.
KUSCH: Ok, I’ll try my best to finally shed some light on this. The band Krypteria, that being Ji-In, Chris, Frank and myself, was formed in the winter of 2004/2005 and we consider ‘In medias res’ our debut album,...
- "Krypteria". Metal Hammer (in German). 1 January 2007. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
Krypteria haben sich mit ihrer EP Evolution Principle in kürzester Zeit zur heißesten deutschen Gothic Metal-Hoffnung gemausert. [With their EP Evolution Principle Krypteria have turned into the currently hottest German gothic metal aspiration.]
- "The new Krypteria album ALL BEAUTY MUST DIE will be released April 22nd". krypteriapolis. Twitter. Retrieved 2011-04-19.
- "Krypteria Longplay-Chartverfolgung". musicline.de (in German). PHONONET GmbH. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Krypteria in der österreichischen Hitparade". austriancharts.at (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Krypteria in Swiss Charts". hitparade.ch. Hung Medien. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Krypteria Single-Chartverfolgung". musicline.de (in German). PHONONET GmbH. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Krypteria.|
- Official website
- Krypteria at Myspace
- Interview with Krypteria (August 2007) - From www.metal-ways.com