Britz, Kakkassery & Raghavan, 2014
Vincent & J. Thomas, 2011
Kryptoglanis shajii is a species of subterranean catfish found in subsurface waters in the Western Ghats in Kerala, India. This cavefish grows to a length of 5.9 centimetres (2.3 in) SL. It is currently the only known member of its genus and family. Although first discovered from underground waters, it has also been seen in dense vegetation in paddy fields and was found to be common in this habitat in the Chalakudy. The species strongly avoids light and feeds on small invertebrates.
The morphology of K. shajii differs from all other known species of catfish and includes such features as the absence of dorsal fin; the presence of four pairs of barbels; an upwardly directed mouth, with a distinctly projecting lower jaw; subcutaneous eyes; anal fin completely confluent with the caudal fin; anal and caudal fins together carry 70–74 fin rays; and no spines in any of the fins. These differences have led to its being assigned to its own family.
- Vincent, Moncey; Thomas, John (April 2011). "Kryptoglanis shajii, an enigmatic subterranean-spring catfish (Siluriformes, Incertae sedis) from Kerala, India". Ichthyological Research. 58 (2): 161–165. doi:10.1007/s10228-011-0206-6. (Subscription required (help)).
- Britz, Ralf; Kakkassery, Francy; Raghavan, Rajeev (6 April 2014). "Osteology of Kryptoglanis shajii, a stygobitic catfish (Teleostei: Siluriformes) from Peninsular India with a diagnosis of the new family Kryptoglanidae" (PDF). Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters. 24 (3): 193–207. (Subscription required (help)).
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2014). "Kryptoglanis shajii" in FishBase. February 2014 version.
- Binoy; Roshan & Rakesh (2012). "Occurrence of Kryptoglanis shajii, an enigmatic subterranean-spring catfish (Siluriformes, Incertae sedis) in the channels of paddy fields". Current Science. 102 (2): 161.
- Babu, K.K.S. (2012). "Horaglanis abdulkalami, a new hypogean blind catfish (Siluriformes: Clariidae) from Kerala, India". Samagra CRIKSC Journal. 8: 51–56.
|This catfish-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|