He received a Ph.D. in Computer Engineering from The University Of Texas At Austin. Bollacker spent time as a biomedical research engineer at the Duke University Medical Center where worked on electro-cardiography. He is co-creator of the CiteSeer research tool which was produced while he was a visiting researcher at the NEC Research Institute.
During his tenure as Technical Director of the Internet Archive, Bollacker lead the work to create The Wayback Machine. While Chief Scientist at Metaweb Technologies he was key contributor to the development of Freebase. After Metaweb, Bollacker worked at Applied Minds and as a consulting Data Scientist.
Bollacker is a dedicated activist who is involved with multiple non-profit organizations. He serves on the Advisory Board of The Common Crawl Foundation  For several years he has pursued research on long term digital archiving as the Digital Research Director at the non-profit Long Now Foundation.
- Hillsley, Russell E.; Bollacker, Kurt D.; Simpson, Edward V.; Rollins, Dennis L.; Yarger, Michael D.; Wolf, Patrick D.; Smith, William M.; Ideker, Raymond E. (1995). "Alteration of Ventricular Fibrillation by Propranolol and Isoproterenol Detected by Epicardial Mapping with 506 Electrodes". Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology. 6 (6): 471–485. doi:10.1111/j.1540-8167.1995.tb00420.x. ISSN 1540-8167. PMID 7551316.
- Bollacker, K.D.; Simpson, E.V.; Johnson, G.A.; Walcott, G.P.; Kavanagh, K.M.; Smith, W.M.; Ideker, R.E. (1991-10-31). "A Cellular Automata Three-dimensional Model Of Ventricular Cardiac Activation". Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Volume 13: 1991: 627–628. doi:10.1109/IEMBS.1991.684115. ISBN 0-7803-0216-8.
- "About CiteSeer". Archived from the original on 2018-07-26. Retrieved 2012-11-07.
- Bollacker, Kurt D.; Lawrence, Steve; Giles, C. Lee (1998). "CiteSeer: An Autonomous Web Agent for Automatic Retrieval and Identification of Interesting Publications". International Conference on Autonomous Agents. ACM: 116–123. doi:10.1145/280765.280786.
- Bollacker, Kurt; Evans, Colin; Paritosh, Praveen; Sturge, Tim; Taylor, Jamie (2008). "Freebase: a collaboratively created graph database for structuring human knowledge". In SIGMOD Conference: 1247–1250. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.538.7139.
- Slawski, Bill (2010-07-17). "Google Gets Smarter with Named Entities: Acquires MetaWeb". SEO by the Sea ⚓. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- Big Data Giant Joins InfoChimps to Save the World's Structured Information Archived 2011-01-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Yang, Dennis (2011-01-03). "Welcome Kurt Bollacker to the Infochimps Team!". Infochimps. Archived from the original on 2016-04-17. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "Our Team – Common Crawl". Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "Kurt Bollacker, Digital Research Director - The Long Now". longnow.org. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- U.T. Austin student page for Kurt Bollacker
- Bollacker's article in American Scientist "Avoiding a Digital Dark Age"