|Founder||Danny Hillis, Veda Hlubinka-Cook|
(by Google in July, 2010)
|Kurt Bollacker, chief scientist|
Danny Hillis, chairman
Thomas Layton, CEO
Veda Hlubinka-Cook, EVP, product development
John Giannandrea, CTO
|Products||Freebase — an online database|
Metaweb Technologies, Inc. was a San Francisco-based company that developed Freebase, described as an "open, shared database of the world's knowledge". The company was co-founded by Danny Hillis, Veda Hlubinka-Cook and John Giannandrea in 2005.
On March 14, 2006, Metaweb received $15 million in funding. Investors included Benchmark Capital, Millennium Technology Ventures, and Omidyar Network. On January 15, 2008, Metaweb announced a $42.5 million Series B round led by Goldman Sachs and Benchmark Capital.
Kevin Harvey of Benchmark Capital was a member of Metaweb's board of directors.
On July 16, 2010, Google acquired Metaweb for an undisclosed sum.
- Metaweb announces hiring of Thomas Layton, CEO Archived 2008-02-20 at the Wayback Machine
- Markoff, John (2007-03-09). "Start-Up Aims for Database to Automate Web Searching". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-03-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Metaweb joins Google" (Press release). Metaweb. 2010-07-16. Archived from the original on 2012-05-30. Retrieved 2010-07-16. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "From Freebase to Wikidata: The Great Migration" (PDF). 11 April 2016. Retrieved 25 August 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Douglas, Jason (December 16, 2014). "Announcement: From Freebase to Wikidata". Freebase Discuss. Google Groups. Retrieved December 16, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "So long and thanks for all the data!". 2 May 2016. Retrieved 5 May 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Metaweb Technologies, Inc. Receives $15 Million of Financing From Benchmark Capital, Millennium Technology Ventures and Omidyar Network" (Press release). Benchmark Capital. 2006-03-13. Retrieved 2007-03-09. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Metaweb Raises $42.5 Million led by Goldman Sachs and Benchmark Capital Archived 2008-03-04 at the Wayback Machine (company press release)
- Deeper Understanding with Metaweb (company press release)