Kwang Sung Hwang
Kwang Sung Hwang (born 13 September 1942) is a South Korean grand master of Taekwon-Do, a notable officer of the International Taekwon-Do Federation (ITF), only president of KoreAmerica Taekwon-Do Union (KATU), founder and president of Unified International Taekwon-Do Federation.
Kwang Sung Hwang was born in Taegu, Korea, in 1942. He started martial arts training at age eleven. After studying political science at Kyungpook National University, he attended the Infantry Officer Candidate School in the Republic of Korea Army (ROKA) and graduated as a Second Lieutenant. Subsequently, he attended the ROK Army Taekwon-Do International Instructors School. In 1968–1969, he was one of the Taekwon-Do instructors dispatched to Vietnam during the war. While in Vietnam, as a Captain in the ROK Army, he taught Taekwon-Do to the Korean Tiger Division, the Korean Army, US Army, US Marines, and Vietnamese Army. While in Vietnam, he received commendation medals from Korea and Vietnam. In 1970 Grand Master Hwang retired from the ROK Army as a Captain, and Service Company Commander of the 26th Infantry Division which was also known as the Taekwon-Do Division. .
Leaving his military career, Hwang was invited to the US and first taught a credited course at Manchester Community Technical College in 1971. He opened his first Taekwon-Do school the following year. In 1974, Hwang graduated from the first International Taekwon-Do Federation (ITF) Instructors Course and Umpires Course hosted and taught by General Choi Hong Hi in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Hwang took students to train at General Choi's home in the early-mid 70's. In October 1976, he hosted General Choi Cup tournament. He subsequently started taking private lessons from General Choi in the 1980s after being promoted to seventh degree Master in Taekwon-Do. He led the U.S. Team at the 8th ITF World Championships in Pyongyang at North Korea's Taekwon-Do Palace. He assisted General Choi in many seminars worldwide.
Hwang simultaneously served as special assistant to General Choi, official spokesman of the ITF, chairman of the ITF promotion and merger committees, and Secretary General of the ITF. 1997 was a monumental year for ITF and General Choi as he promoted three men to 9th degree that year with Grand Master Rhee Ki Ha (UK-9-1) promoted in July 1997 followed by Grand Master Charles Sereff (A-9-1) and Grand Master KS Hwang (K-9-1) in December 1997. He was one of only a handful of men promoted to 9th Dan by General Choi.
- ITF Bio of Kwang Sung Hwang Retrieved on 14 May 2014
- Taekwondo History by He-Young Kim 2013 - page 673
- Taekwondo History by He-Young Kim 2013 - page 545
- "The Legacy of Grand Master Hwang." Taekwondo Times Magazine January 2013: pgs 48-53. Print.
- "Grand Master Hwang" cover story of Totally Taekwondo Magazine January 2013: pgs 7-14. e-zine.
- Taekwondo History by He-Young Kim 2013 - page 465
- Taekwondo History by He-Young Kim 2013 - page 652
- "Taekwon-D And I, Volume 2" by General Choi, Hong Hi 2008: pg 282. Print.
- "Taekwon-D And I, Volume 2" by General Choi, Hong Hi 2008: pg 135. Print.
- Taekwondo History by He-Young Kim 2013 - page 544
- Taekwondo History by He-Young Kim 2013 - page 499
- Taekwondo History by He-Young Kim 2013 - page 506