|Chair of the North Dakota Democratic Party|
March 7, 2015
|Preceded by||Bob Valeu|
|Member of the North Dakota House of Representatives
from the 42nd district
January 8, 2013 – December 5, 2016
|Preceded by||Stacey Dahl|
|Succeeded by||Jake Blum|
March 2, 1989 |
Kildeer, North Dakota, U.S.
|Education||University of North Dakota (BSW, JD)|
Kylie Oversen (born c. 1988–1989) is the Chair of the Democratic-NPL. She served as a member of the North Dakota House of Representatives, representing the 42nd district from January 2013 to December 2016. The 42nd district is located in the northern portion of Grand Forks and includes the University of North Dakota.
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Political career
- 3 Other work
- 4 Views
- 5 Electoral history
- 6 Personal life
- 7 Awards and honors
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Early life and education
She attended the University of North Dakota, where she was elected Student Body President, where she was noted for her extensive work improving the university's student fee allocation process. She was also active in the Christus Rex Lutheran Campus Ministry, calling it her "second home and family." In 2012, she graduated summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa with a Bachelor of Social Work and a Bachelor of Social Science.
Following graduation, she began working with the University of North Dakota Alumni Association as a special projects coordinator for the Gorecki Alumni Center. She also interned with PLUS Program, serving families in Grand Forks County. She continued her work at the Christus Rex Lutheran Campus Ministry at UND, and was also a counselor at the American Legion Auxiliary Girls' State Program.
North Dakota House of Representatives
Oversen was not considering a career in politics until her senator sent her a Facebook message asking her to run for state representative. She told a magazine, "I had to read it several times." In 2012, she ran in her home 42nd district, and raised $7,275 for her campaign.
In 2012, with 28.7% of the vote, Oversen was elected Democratic-NPL member of the North Dakota House of Representatives, representing the 42nd district since January 2013. The 42nd district is located in the northern portion of Grand Forks and includes the University of North Dakota.
North Dakota Democratic-NPL Party
In March 2015, she was elected the Chair of the North Dakota Democratic-Nonpartisan League Party, the state's branch of the national Democratic Party, at age 26, making her the youngest state party chair in the United States.
Oversen is a member of Greater Grand Forks Young Professionals and serves on the Board of Directors for the Red River Valley Habitat for Humanity as well as for the Area Health Education Centers, which are affiliated with the University of North Dakota Center for Rural Health.
Cost of higher education
Oversen has been a public advocate for lowering college and university tuition and fees at public institutions. She introduced a bill in the ND House of Representatives to freeze tuition at all of North Dakota's public institutions of higher education, but it was defeated in February 2015.
North Dakota House of Representatives Elections, 2012
"Broadly, public service. Once I got into the legislature, I found new ways I was able to express my faith in the area of social justice. I was proud to be an ELCA Lutheran in a discussion about discrimination based on sexual orientation … to say 'some of us are called to social justice and equality as part of our faith, not against our faith.'"
Awards and honors
|2014||North Dakota Woman of the Year||North Dakota Women's Network||For her work for women and families in North Dakota during her time in the Legislature|
- "District 42 Map" (PDF). North Dakota Legislative Assembly. 2011-10-12. Retrieved 2015-09-07.
- Reininga, Ben (2015-03-24). "She Runs The Democratic Party In A Super-Red State (& She's 26)". Refinery29. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "Rep. Kylie Oversen – Representing North Dakota District 42". www.kylieoversen.com. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "Kylie Oversen – Growing up in Killdeer, I have always... | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "Kylie Oversen – I didn't write yesterday, but my gratitude... | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "10 under 40: These adults are leading the church & changing the world". www.thelutheran.org. The Lutheran. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "The Voter's Self Defense System". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "Kylie Oversen – Ballotpedia". ballotpedia.org. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "Kylie Oversen – Yesterday, the House voted to defeat a... | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "Kylie Oversen – And then this happened. #SCOTUS #LoveWins... | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "District 42 Election Results". Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- "Kylie Oversen | North Dakota Legislative Branch". www.legis.nd.gov. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "Kylie Oversen – A bit of an unusual post from my political... | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- Biography, bills & committees at North Dakota Legislative Branch
- Campaign website
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Official Twitter Account
|Party political offices|
|Chair of the North Dakota Democratic Party