Chef Patron Alan Murchison opened the restaurant in 2007. The French word bécasse means woodcock but in connection with Guy de Maupassant's "Tales of the Woodcock" (1883) has usually been translated "Tales of the Goose."
Within four months of launching, La Bécasse was voted "Best Fine Dining Restaurant" in the West Midlands by the Metro. Will Holland, head chef, featured on BBC1 television's Saturday Kitchen in summer 2009, as well as MasterChef: The Professionals in 2010.
Will Holland left the restaurant in September 2013  just weeks before the business went into voluntary liquidation. It was immediately resurrected by a newly formed company called Ludlow Restaurants Limited and the restaurant ran as before. It was however un-rated by the AA and no longer had its previously-held Michelin rating.
In January 2015 the restaurant went into liquidation for a second time and closed for good.
Elsewhere in Ludlow
Ludlow had one remaining Michelin-starred establishment — Mr Underhills which shut in December 2015. (The town had at one point boasted three Michelin-starred establishments, but all are now gone.)
- "La Bécasse web site". Labecasse.co.uk.
- Lonely Planet Great Britain David Else, David Atkinson, James Bainbridge - 2009 Page 513 "Artfully presented modern French cuisine bursting with inventive flavour fusions – the spectacular tasting menu is enough to make you weak at the knees. The serious business of eating is conducted within the oak-panelled and exposed brick walls of a 17th-century coach house."
- Dictionnaire de l'Académie française - Volume 1 - Page 177 Académie française - 1835 "BÉCASSE, s. f. Oiseau de passage qui a le bec fort long, et qui est bon à manger. Tuer une bécasse. Faire un salmis de bécasses. Bécasses rôties. Pâté de bécasses. Prov. et fig. , Brider la bécasse, Engager adroitement quelqu'un de telle ..."
- The New Encyclopædia Britannica - Volume 7 - Page 952 1998 "Maupassant, Guy de... Contes de la bécasse (1883; “Tales of the Goose”)"
- "Metrolife food and drink awards". Metro.co.uk. 10 December 2007.
- "AA restaurant guide". Theaa.com.
- Ludlow Advertiser Ludlow restaurant in liquidation (12 January 2015)
- Ludlow Advertiser Famous Ludlow eatery goes into liquidation (6 June 2014)
- Shropshire Star Future looking bright at Ludlow's La Becasse restaurant (9 June 2014)
- Via Michelin Archived 22 October 2014 at the Wayback Machine Mr Underhill's At Dinham Weir