La Carlota, Spain
|Comarca||Valle Medio del Guadalquivir|
|• Mayor||Antonio Granados Miranda (PSOE)|
|• Total||78,97 km2 (3,049 sq mi)|
|Elevation||228 m (748 ft)|
|• Density||1.8/km2 (4.6/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
La Carlota is a Spanish municipality in the province of Cordoba, autonomous community of Andalusia. In 2005 it had 11,488 inhabitants. Its surface area is 80 km² and has a density of 162.43 hab. Its geographical coordinates are 37º 40 'N, 4 ° 56' W. It is situated at an altitude of 228 meters and 30 kilometers from the provincial capital, Córdoba.
Because of the history of its foundation the population is divided into 11 districts or cores: the characteristic of the head of the municipality of La Carlota and ten departments. These departments are:
- First department: La Paz
- Second department: Los Algarbes
- Third department: Monte Alto
- Fourth department: Arrecife
- Fifth department: El Garabato
- Sixth department: La Chica Carlota
- Seventh department: Las Pinedas
- Eighth department: El Rinconcillo
- Ninth department: Fuencubierta
- Tenth department: Aldea Quintana
La Carlota is located in the Cordovan countryside, south of the capital, occupying part of the alluvial valley of the Guadalquivir and the area of Quaternary terraces. West and south borders the province of Seville and Cordoba and the North with Guadalcázar. The relief is continuous without extreme slopes hills in the rainy season tends to stagnate. The weather is typical of the area: a little annual rainfall exceeding 600 mm and very high temperatures in summer and winter semifrías. It stresses the aridity of the area and the annual deficit in the hydrological balance. The main economic activity is agriculture and traditional products: dry cereals, olive grove, vineyard, sunflowers, sugar beet and cotton, being this highly favored by its geographical location and activity between two provincial capitals among other minor centers.
La Carlota founded in 1767 due to the interest of King Carlos III to colonize some depopulated areas of the Guadalquivir valley and Sierra Morena (see Colonization of Sierra Morena and Andalusia). The legal framework for carrying out this Colonizing company it was the Law of the New Populations of Andalusia, which established three main settlement areas headers would be La Carolina (Jaén), La Carlota (Córdoba) and La Luisiana (Sevilla). The aim of this colonization was twofold: on the one hand protect the stagecoach traffic populating these areas that served as refuge to banditry, and the other put in big farm unproductive areas hitherto. The project was driven by two large illustrated: Campomanes and Pablo de Olavide, who was commissioned to carry out the settlement.
The recruitment of settlers who inhabit these lands he was commissioned the adventurer Juan Gaspar de Thurriegel, who brought to Spain about six thousand German and Flemish Catholic settlers, plus some Catalans and Valencians. This is the reason that still exist surnames and Central European ethnic features among its inhabitants. Of those 6,000 colonists settled in Carlota approximately 1,600.
A French influence and the Enlightenment is due the administratively the municipality should be divided into "departments" and not in villages, and the Real Carlota was not only the head of your current municipality, but also capital of the western colonies, They comprising San Sebastián de los Ballesteros (Córdoba), Fuente Palmera (Córdoba) and La Luisiana (Sevilla). For the same reason urbanism of La Carlota it is orthogonal, with streets that intersect perpendicularly and give rise to regular apples, which extend on both sides of Camino Real (then national highway IV) leading from Cádiz to Madrid.
Among its illustrious locals is the writer Juan Bernier.
- Cabalgata de los Reyes Magos, The 5, enero.
- La Candelaria, The 1 y 2, February.
- Día de Andalucía, 28, February.
- Feria del libro, 24, April.
- Fiesta del día de la Cruz, feria y fiestas de Aldea Quintana. Décimo Departamento (recomendada, todas las ferias de la zona comienzan con ésta), The 3, May.
- Romería de San Isidro, The 15, May.
- San Pedro y San Pablo (Feria y Fiestas de Montealto), The 29, June.
- Feria y Fiestas de la paz, The 1, July .
- Día de la Colonización, The 5, July.
- Mercado Colono local, second weekend of July.
- Feria y Fiesta de Los Algarbes, el 16 de July.
- Santiago Apóstol, feria y fiestas de El Garabato, el 25 de July.
- Día de la Virgen de los Ángeles, feria y fiestas de Las Pinedas, The 2, August.
- Virgen del Tránsito y Virgen de Agosto, feria y fiestas de La Chica Carlota y El Rinconcillo respectivamente, The 15, August.
- Verbena del Emigrante, The 28, August.
- Feria y Fiestas de la Fuencubierta, The 30, August.
- Fiestas del Santísimo Cristo de la Misercordia, del 14 al 17 de September.
- Fiesta de la Virgen del Rosario, patrona de la Carlota The 7, Octuber.
- Día de la Constitución, The 6, Dicember.
- Media related to La Carlota, Spain at Wikimedia Commons