La Ronde (restaurant)
La Ronde was a famous restaurant in Honolulu Hawaii. Built in 1961 and designed by John Graham it was the first revolving restaurant in the United States (preceding the "Eye of the Needle" restaurant in Seattle) and the third of its kind (after the Florian Tower and the Cairo Tower) in the world. The restaurant is now closed.
The restaurant's revolving part has a diameter of about 16 feet (5 meters) with a seating capacity for 162 guests, the office building has a total height of 25 floors and 298 feet (91 meters) including an observation deck at the top. The rotational speed was 1 rotation per hour.
The building was designed by John Graham Jr. of the architectural firm John Graham & Company. The building was completed in 1960 and inaugurated 21 November 1961. At that time, it was the highest building in Honolulu.
Graham later received a patent for the revolving design in 1964 (US patent-nr 3125189).
One revolving restaurant remains in Hawaii, called Top of Waikiki.
- Going ’round Waikiki, 2006 Star Bulletin (accessdate 31 July 2016)
- Ala Moana Center Emporis (accessdate 31 July 2016)
- Towering Ties Archived 9 August 2016 at the Wayback Machine Briale Morand (accessdate 31 July 2016)
- Ala Moana Building Ala Moana Center (accessdate 31 July 2016)
- Ala Moana Center, Architectural History Report page 37-39 Mason Architects (accessdate 31 July 2016)
- Some Construction and Housing Firsts in Hawaii, 72nd Annual Report, 1963, page 108 (11) Hawaiian Historical Society (accessdate 31 July 2016)
- A Brief History of Buildings That Spin Anthony Paletta, Gizmodo (accessdate 31 July 2016)
- A Moveable Feast: A Brief History of the Revolving Restaurant J S Graboyes, Duckpie (accessdate 31 July 2016)
- Revolving Restaurants in the Americas Phil Dotree, Interesting America (accessdate 31 July 2016)
- Pie in the skies – revolving restaurants Jan Whitaker, Restaurant-ing through History (accessdate 31 July 2016)
- patent Graham 1964 Google patents (accessdate 31 July 2016)
- Kato, Nicole (November 11, 2012). "Top of Waikiki". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Revolving restaurants.|
- close-up La Ronde (Flickr)
- close-up (Waymarking)
- image (Flickr)
- image (Star Advertiser)
- image (Flickr)
- over view image (Flickr)
- over view image (Historic Hawai‘i Foundation)
- images collection
- image (1962, Hawaiian Church Chronicle)