Lakeview – Fort Oglethorpe High School
The school's teams are known as the Warriors. Lakeview Fort Oglethorpe High School is a team in the Region 6-AAA.
Around the time of WWI, the Lakeview community was opened for settlement by the Chattanooga Land Company. Prior to 1915, the children of this community were either taught at home, or at the Old Chambers Homeplace. By the fall of 1915, a community school for grades 1-7 was scheduled to open, but was not completed until 1916. In the 1920s, a new school building for Lakeview was built on Oak Street including its first bell, and in 1928 its first cafeteria was built. A member of the first senior class to graduate from the new building (in 1935), S. O. Addison, chose the school colors of red and white, wrote the alma mater, and picked the name "Warriors."
Two sports were initially offered at the school – baseball and basketball. Basketball games were originally held outdoor, but later, Lake Winnie and area churches allowed Lakeview to play basketball indoors in their facilities. In 1933, the 6th Cavalry donated football equipment, and the school established its first football team as well as a school newspaper. By 1951, Lakeview Junior High and High had moved to Cross Street, and in 1973, the high school was moved to 2A where the Lakeview and Ft. Oglethorpe communities merged. The community pitched in to raise fund for the athletic fields, and students and parents helped do the work.
In 2013, an athletic facility project was completed, including a new basketball gym, weight training area, and other facilities.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2017)
The Warriors have produced a number of state wrestling champions. Their current coach is Kenny Hill, who won three state titles while at LFO. Another State Champion for the Warriors is Derrick Laney, a three-time champ in his sophomore, junior and senior years.
- Ringgold High School
- Heritage High School
- Gordon Lee High School
- Lafayette High School
- Ridgeland High School
- "Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School". U.S.News.
- School website
- "About the School". Fort Oglethorpe High School.
- "Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School unveils new gym". Walker County Messenger. November 21, 2013.
- Lindsey Young (April 22, 2015). "Bo Campbell takes Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe football job". Times Free Press.
- Misty Martin (July 1, 2015). "Wrestling: Hill returns to wrestling roots at LFO". Prep Central.
- Scott Herpst (February 21, 2010). "Wrestling: Laney becomes a three-time champ for LFO". Prep Central.
- "Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School is the 2016 PAGE GAD State Champion". PAGE Foundation. February 28, 2016.