Land Rover Defender (L663)
|Land Rover Defender|
Land Rover Defender 110
|Manufacturer||Jaguar Land Rover|
|Assembly||Slovakia: JLR plant, Nitra|
|Body and chassis|
|Width||2,008 mm (79.1 in)|
|Predecessor||Land Rover Defender (L316)|
The Defender, which is a replacement for the original Land Rover Defender (1983-2016), was unveiled on 10 September 2019 at the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show. One version of the Land Rover Defender will be sold initially, the 5-door Defender 110, which is due to start delivery to customers in early 2020, to be followed by the 3-door Defender 90 in late 2020.
The car, which shares no components or technology with its predecessor Defender model, features permanent all-wheel drive, locking differentials, and a two-speed transfer case. Unlike the previous Defender models, the new model will feature an aluminium unibody instead of a body-on-frame construction.  All Defender 110 variants come with air suspension as standard whilst the 90 can be optioned with coil springs or air suspension.
The Defender 110 is 5,018 mm (197.6 in) long including the spare wheel on the rear door, or 4,758 mm (187.3 in) without it, and has a wheelbase of 3,022 mm (119.0 in). The Defender 90 is 4,583 mm (180.4 in) long including the spare wheel and 4,323 mm (170.2 in) without, with a weight from 2,133 kilograms (4,702 lb) with a 4-cylinder diesel engine.
The initial engine choice will be from the following JLR Ingenium engines: D200 - a 196 bhp (146 kW) 2.0-litre 4-cylinder turbodiesel with a fuel consumption of 32.2 mpg‑imp (8.8 L/100 km; 26.8 mpg‑US)), the D240 2.0-litre 4-cylinder turbodiesel of 237 bhp (177 kW) and 32.2 mpg‑imp (8.8 L/100 km; 26.8 mpg‑US), the P300 2.0-litre 4-cylinder turbo petrol of 296 bhp (221 kW) and 25.1 mpg‑imp (11.3 L/100 km; 20.9 mpg‑US) and the P400 3.0-litre 6-cylinder turbo petrol mild hybrid of 395 bhp (295 kW) and 25.6 mpg‑imp (11.0 L/100 km; 21.3 mpg‑US)).
The Defender is available in Standard, S, SE, HSE and X trim lines. Land Rover also offers four accessory packs, called Explorer, Adventure, Urban and Country, which include various accessories such as a raised air intake, extended mud flaps, a side-mounted storage box, and more.
The entry-level models will come equipped with 18-inch alloy wheels, LED headlights, and a 10.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system.
The Defender 90 comes with a standard front jump seat that adds a third seating position to the front row. Models with front bucket seats can be equipped with a wide centre console.
The car debuts Jaguar Land Rover's Pivi Pro infotainment system, accessed through a 10-inch touch screen.
The cars are to be built at Jaguar Land Rover's Nitra plant in Slovakia. The manufacturing facility in Nitra was opened on 25 October 2018. The plant covers an area of about 300,000 square metres.
Land Rover have announced that a commercial edition of the vehicle, which will remove the rear seats, and rear side windows, is to go on sale in 2020.
- McIlroy, John (10 September 2019). "It's back: new 2020 Land Rover Defender reinvents the icon". Auto Express. Retrieved 10 September 2019.
- Holder, Jim (10 September 2019). "New Land Rover Defender: icon reborn as tough upmarket 4x4". Autocar. Retrieved 10 September 2019.
- "2020 Land Rover Defender: Engineering overview | CarAdvice". CarAdvice.com. Retrieved 2019-09-17.
- Allen, Lawrence (11 September 2019). "Defender reborn as tough upmarket 4x4". Autocar. No. 6375. Haymarket Media Group. pp. 10–19.
- "2020 Land Rover Defender: official photos, price, off-road ability and on sale date". Sunday Times Driving. 10 September 2019. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- Barry, Ben (10 September 2019). "New Land Rover Defender revealed in Frankfurt". Car. Retrieved 10 September 2019.
- Jaguar Land Rover OPENS new Slovakian Plant as Discovery production heads East Cars UK. 27 October 2018.
- Ruffo, Gustavo Henrique. "This Will Be The First PHEV Land Rover Defender… Eventually". InsideEVs. Retrieved 2019-09-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Land Rover Defender (L663).|
Land Rover, vehicle timeline, 1940s–present
|Off-road vehicle||Series I||Series II||Series III|
|101 FC||Ninety & One Ten||Defender|
|Compact SUV||Range Rover Evoque|
|Freelander||Freelander 2||Discovery Sport|
|Mid-size SUV||RR Velar|
|Discovery I||Discovery II||Discovery 3||Discovery 4||Discovery 5|
|Full-size SUV||Range Rover Classic||Range Rover Sport||Range Rover Sport 2|
|Range Rover||Range Rover||Range Rover|