Larry Miller (Canadian politician)
Miller at the Olympic Torch ceremony in Owen Sound
|Member of the Canadian Parliament|
for Bruce—Grey—Owen Sound
June 28, 2004 – September 11, 2019
|Preceded by||Ovid Jackson|
|Succeeded by||Alex Ruff|
|Chair of the Standing Committee on |
3 February 2009 – 24 September 2012
|Preceded by||James Bezan|
|Succeeded by||Merv Tweed|
|Born||21 July 1956|
Wiarton, Ontario, Canada
|Residence||Georgian Bluffs, Ontario|
Early life and career
Miller was born in Wiarton, Ontario on 21 July 1956. Before entering federal politics, Miller was a councillor in Keppel Township, Ontario from 1991 to 1993. He progressed to Deputy Reeve in 1994, and in 1996 became the Reeve of Keppel Township. He was briefly a councillor in Grey County between 2000 and 2001, and between 2000 and 2004 he was mayor of Georgian Bluffs. He also owns a beef-farming operation.
Bill C-19 controversy
On 7 February 2012, during a Parliamentary Debate about Bill C-19, Miller stirred controversy after comparing the long-gun registry to Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Regime quoting former Liberal Minister Allan Rock: "I came to Ottawa last year with the firm belief that the only people in Canada who should have firearms are police officers and the military." Miller added afterwards: "Sound familiar? Adolf Hitler. 1939". Later on, he quoted former Liberal Senator Sharon Carstairs who'd said "the registering of hunting rifles is the first step in the social re-engineering of Canadians" which Miller added "that is what Adolf Hitler tried to do in the 1930s". Miller later retracted his statements.
Citizenship ceremony controversy
On 16 March 2015, while appearing on a call-in show on CFOS Radio, Miller commented on the issue of Zunera Ishaq wishing to wear a niqab at her citizenship ceremony. Miller said, "if you don't like that or don't want to do that, stay the hell where you came from, is the way, and I think most Canadians feel the same... I'm so sick and tired of, of people wanting to come here because they know it's a good country and then they want to change things before they even really officially become a Canadian, so , I have no sympathy for her..." The following day, Miller issued a statement apologizing for part of his comments, but maintained his opinion that one should uncover their face when taking the citizenship oath.
Miller is married with three children and three grandchildren.
|2015 Canadian federal election: Bruce—Grey—Owen Sound|
|New Democratic||David McLaren||6,270||11.13||-6.51||$28,809.26|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||56,333||100.00||$218,310.52|
|Total rejected ballots||212||0.37|
|Source: Elections Canada|
|2011 Canadian federal election|
|New Democratic||Karen Gventer||9,008||17.64||+8.01||–|
|Green||Emma Jane Hogbin||5,099||9.99||-17.18||–|
|Total valid votes||51,054||100.00||–|
|Total rejected ballots||227||0.44||+0.02|
|2008 Canadian federal election|
|New Democratic||Jill McIllwraith||4,640||9.63||-1.71||$9,434|
|Christian Heritage||Joel Kidd||599||1.24||*||$1,377|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||48,201||100.00||$84,478|
|Total rejected ballots||204||0.42|
|2006 Canadian federal election|
|New Democratic||Jill McIllwraith||5,918||11.34||-1.7||$11,210|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||52,164||100.00|
|2004 Canadian federal election|
|New Democratic||Sebastian Ostertag||6,516||13.1||+8.2|
|Christian Heritage||Steven J. Taylor||982||2.0|
|Total valid votes||49,809||100.0|
Note: Conservative vote is compared to the total of the Canadian Alliance vote and Progressive Conservative vote in 2000 election.
- "Parliamentarian File: Larry Miller". Parliament of Canada. Retrieved 23 May 2009.
- Nova Scotia Lighthouse Preservation Society News and Events "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-04-23. Retrieved 2008-03-27.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Maloney, Ryan (20 October 2015). "6 Controversial Tory Incumbents Who Lost (And 2 Who Didn't)". Huffington Post Canada. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- Nonato, Sheila Dabu. "Conservatives limit debate on long-gun registry". Postmedia News. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Larry Miller, Conservative MP, Compares Liberal Support For Long-Gun Registry To Hitler's Policies". The Huffington Post. 7 February 2011.
- O'Malley, Kady (24 March 2015). "Larry Miller, Conservative MP, recants inflammatory niqab-ban comment". CBC News. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "About Larry". LarryMiller.ca. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- Elections Canada – Confirmed candidates for Bruce—Grey—Owen Sound, 30 September 2015
- Elections Canada – Preliminary Election Expenses Limits for Candidates Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Larry Miller.|