Larry Miller (Canadian politician)
Miller at the Olympic Torch ceremony in Owen Sound
|Member of the Canadian Parliament
for Bruce—Grey—Owen Sound
June 28, 2004
|Preceded by||Ovid Jackson|
|Chair of the Standing Committee on
3 February 2009 – 24 September 2012
|Preceded by||James Bezan|
|Succeeded by||Merv Tweed|
21 July 1956 |
|Residence||Georgian Bluffs, Ontario|
Larry Miller, MP (born 21 July 1956) is a Canadian politician. He is a current member of the Canadian House of Commons, representing the riding of Bruce—Grey—Owen Sound for the Conservative Party. Miller is married with three children and three grandchildren.
Early life and career
Miller was born in Wiarton, Ontario. Before entering federal politics, Miller was a councillor in Keppel Township, Ontario from 1991 to 1993. He progressed to Deputy Reeve in 1994, and in 1996 became the Reeve of Keppel Township. He was briefly a councillor in Grey County between 2000 and 2001, and between 2000 and 2004 he was mayor of Georgian Bluffs. He also owns a beef-farming operation.
Miller won the Conservative Party nomination for Bruce—Grey—Owen Sound in 2004, and defeated three-term Liberal Member of Parliament Ovid Jackson by almost 5,000 votes in that year's federal election.
Bill C-19 Controversy
On February 7, 2012, during a Parliamentary Debate about Bill C-19, Miller stirred controversy after comparing the long-gun registry to Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Regime quoting former Liberal Minister Allan Rock: "I came to Ottawa last year with the firm belief that the only people in Canada who should have firearms are police officers and the military." Miller added afterwards: "Sound familiar? Adolf Hitler. 1939". Later on, he quoted former Liberal Senator Sharon Carstairs who've said "the registering of hunting rifles is the first step in the social re-engineering of Canadians" which Miller added "that is what Adolf Hitler tried to do in the 1930s". Miller later retracted his statements.
Controversial comments regarding immigrants
On March 16, 2015, while appearing on a call-in show on CFOS Radio, Miller commented on the issue of would-be Canadian citizens wearing a niqab at their citizenship ceremony. Miller said, "if you don't like that or don't want to do that, stay the hell where you came from, is the way, and I think most Canadians feel the same... I'm so sick and tired of, of people wanting to come here because they know it's a good country and then they want to change things before they even really officially become a Canadian, so , I have no sympathy for her..." The following day, Miller issued a statement apologizing for the inflammatory part of his comments, but maintained his opinion that one should uncover their face when taking the citizenship oath.
|Canadian federal election, 2015|
|New Democratic||David McLaren||6,270||11.1||-6.54||–|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||56,333||100.0||$217,686.73|
|Total rejected ballots||212||0.37||-0.07|
|Source: Elections Canada|
|Canadian federal election, 2011|
|New Democratic||Karen Gventer||9,008||17.64||+8.01||–|
|Green||Emma Jane Hogbin||5,099||9.99||-17.18||–|
|Total valid votes||51,054||100.00||–|
|Total rejected ballots||227||0.44||+0.02|
|Canadian federal election, 2008|
|New Democratic||Jill McIllwraith||4,640||9.63||-1.71||$9,434|
|Christian Heritage||Joel Kidd||599||1.24||*||$1,377|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||48,201||100.00||$84,478|
|Total rejected ballots||204||0.42|
|Canadian federal election, 2006|
|New Democratic||Jill McIllwraith||5,918||11.34||-1.7||$11,210|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||52,164||100.00|
|Canadian federal election, 2004|
|New Democratic||Sebastian Ostertag||6,516||13.1||+8.2|
|Christian Heritage||Steven J. Taylor||982||2.0|
|Total valid votes||49,809||100.0|
Note: Conservative vote is compared to the total of the Canadian Alliance vote and Progressive Conservative vote in 2000 election.
- "Parliamentarian File: Larry Miller". Parliament of Canada. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- "About Larry". LarryMiller.ca. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- Nova Scotia Lighthouse Preservation Society News and Events http://www.nslps.com/trip_and_program_calendar.asp
- Nonato, Sheila Dabu. "Conservatives limit debate on long-gun registry". Postmedia News. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- "Larry Miller, Conservative MP, Compares Liberal Support For Long-Gun Registry To Hitler's Policies". The Huffington Post. February 7, 2011.
- O'Malley, Kady (24 March 2015). "Larry Miller, Conservative MP, recants inflammatory niqab-ban comment". CBC News. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- Maloney, Ryan (20 October 2015). "6 Controversial Tory Incumbents Who Lost (And 2 Who Didn't)". Huffington Post Canada. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- Elections Canada – Confirmed candidates for Bruce—Grey—Owen Sound, 30 September 2015
- Elections Canada – Preliminary Election Expenses Limits for Candidates Archived 2015-08-15 at the Wayback Machine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Larry Miller.|