Lava Bear Films
Lava Bear Films is a production and film financing company producing three to five projects annually that are specifically designed for the global marketplace. The company was founded in 2011 by David Linde who served as CEO until October, 2015 when Participant Media announced that Linde joined the company as its CEO. Lava Bear’s development slate of over fifteen titles and upcoming productions will continue to be overseen by Tory Metzger, President and Partner of Lava Bear, with Linde’s support during his transition.
With Reliance Entertainment as its primary equity investor, Lava Bear also maintains a network of direct output partnerships in several key territories around the globe with the following companies serving to complete its worldwide distribution and financing platform:
- Entertainment One (eOne) (Canada, the UK and Benelux; Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Italia Films (Middle East, Greece and Turkey)
- Nordisk Film (Nordic Countries: Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Iceland)
- Revolutionary Releasing (Eastern Europe, excluding Russia)
- Sun Distribution (Latin America)
Films in development & production
In November 2013, Jason Zada was signed by Lava Bear and David S. Goyer to helm the Goyer-produced film The Forest starring Natalie Dormer and Michael Huisman. Focus Features picked up the North American distribution rights to the film, which acts as Zada's feature film directorial debut and was released on January 8, 2016. Lava Bear is also currently in post-production on Shut In with EuropaCorp distributing worldwide and starring Naomi Watts; and on director Sammo Hung’s The Bodyguard starring Sammo Hung and Chinese superstar Andy Lau. Lava Bear is in production, with 21 Laps and FilmNation, on Denis Villeneuve's Arrival, starring Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker and distributed domestically by Paramount Pictures. The company, with Esperanto Kino and Itaca Films, will premiere Jonás Cuarón’s Desierto as a Special Presentation at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival.
- Adler, Tim (16 February 2010). "David Linde Resurfaces With New Company". Deadline.
- McClintock, Pamela (13 October 2015). "David Linde Named CEO of Participant Media". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "David Linde Joins Participant Media as CEO". Participant Media. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- Linde, David. "Los Angeles Film Festival Board of Directors". Film Independent. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- Kilday, Gregg (24 May 2011). "David Linde Closes Funding, First Look Deal With India's Reliance". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (November 5, 2013). "Lava Bear Sets Jason Zada To Helm David Goyer-Hatched 'The Forest': Video". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 30, 2014.
- McNary, Dave. "Berlin: Natalie Dormer, Michiel Huisman Drama 'The Forest' Sees Strong Sales". Variety. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Kit, Borys (May 22, 2014). "Focus Picks Up David Goyer Supernatural Thriller 'The Forest'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 30, 2014.
- McNary, Dave (May 23, 2014). "David Goyer's 'The Forest' Gets North American Distribution". Variety. Retrieved October 30, 2014.
- Keslassy, Elsa. "EuropaCorp Rolls Into EFM With Kawasaki's Project, 'Shut In' And More". Variety. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- Frater, Patrick. "Lava Bear Boards Andy Lau-Starring Chinese Actioner 'The Bodyguard'". Variety. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- McClintock, Pamela. "Amy Adams' 'Story of Your Life' Goes to Paramount for $20 Million". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- Ford, Rebecca. "Cannes: Jonas Cuaron's 'Forsaken' Shopped by IM Global". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- Pond, Steve (28 July 2015). "Toronto Festival Lineup Includes Matt Damon, Eddie Redmayne, Dakota Johnson, Jake Gyllenhaal Films". The Wrap. Retrieved 28 July 2015.