||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Konner began as a television writer, writing for the shows Little House on the Prairie, Family and Remington Steele. He and his movie-writing partner Mark Rosenthal first worked together on the motion picture The Legend of Billie Jean, which garnered a cult following on video. This was followed by the films The Jewel of the Nile, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, as well as the updated versions of The Beverly Hillbillies, Mighty Joe Young and Planet of the Apes. Other screenplays include Mona Lisa Smile, Flicka, and Mercury Rising.
Konner has been writing and producing television shows for over 35 years. He began writing on such shows as Family, Little House on the Prairie, and Remington Steele. More recently, he has written episodes of the HBO series The Sopranos, one of which was nominated for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Dramatic Writing. He was writer and co-executive producer for the HBO series Boardwalk Empire. Most recently, he has been a writer and co-executive producer of the series Magic City, which premiered in January 2012 on the Starz channel.
Documentaries produced and directed by Konner
In 1995, Konner produced and directed a documentary short, One Thing I Know, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, screened at the Cannes Film Festival, and won the Special Jury Prize at the USA Film Festival. In 2003, through his independent company, The Documentary Campaign, Konner produced Persons of Interest, a feature-length documentary about the illegal detentions of thousands of Muslims in the aftermath of September 11, which premiered in competition at the Sundance Film Festival and won the Amnesty International Humanitarian Award. In 2005, Konner produced the film Zizek!, a documentary which follows the internationally renowned philosopher Slavoj Žižek on a worldwide speaking tour.
Board of Directors of the Writers Guild of America
Konner was a member of the Board of Directors of The Writers Guild of America, and a former Creative Director at the Sundance Institute. He is a member of The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- Family (1976) (TV)
- Little House on the Prairie (1977) (TV)
- Cagney and Lacey (1983) (TV)
- Remington Steele (1984) (TV)
- The Legend of Billie Jean (with Mark Rosenthal) (1985)
- The Jewel of the Nile (1985) (with Mark Rosenthal) (1985)
- Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987) (with Mark Rosenthal)
- The In Crowd (1988) (with Mark Rosenthal)
- Almost Grown (1988) (TV) (creator with David Chase)
- Working Girl (1990) (TV)
- Desperate Hours (1990) (with Mark Rosenthal)
- Sometimes They Come Back (1991) (TV) (with Mark Rosenthal)
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) (with Mark Rosenthal)
- For Love or Money (1993) (with Mark Rosenthal)
- The Beverly Hillbillies (1993) (with Mark Rosenthal)
- One Thing I Know (1995)
- Mercury Rising (1998) (with Mark Rosenthal)
- Mighty Joe Young (1998) (with Mark Rosenthal)
- Planet of the Apes (2001) (with Mark Rosenthal)
- The Sopranos (2001) (TV)
- Persons of Interest (2003) (producer only)
- Mona Lisa Smile (2003) (with Mark Rosenthal)
- Zizek! (2005) (producer only)
- Flicka (2006) (with Mark Rosenthal)
- The Sorcerer Apprentice (2010) (with Mark Rosenthal)
- Boardwalk Empire (2010)