Lawrence Marcus in 2010
July 5, 1917|
|Died||November 1, 2013
|Education||BA & MBA Harvard University|
|Occupation||VP of Women's Department at Neiman Marcus|
|Parent(s)||Herbert Marcus and Minnie Lichtenstein Marcus|
Lawrence Marcus (July 5, 1917 – November 1, 2013) is the fourth and youngest child in a prominent Jewish family that includes his father Neiman Marcus Department Store cofounder Herbert Marcus, his mother Minnie Lichtenstein Marcus and also his eldest brother Neiman Marcus CEO and Chairman Stanley Marcus. He did his undergraduate and graduate education at Harvard University and then served in Africa during World War II but had to be medically evacuated. Upon his return to Dallas, Texas he resumed his career in the growing family business and he became VP of the Women's Department.
In the 1950s, Lawrence's brother Stanley asked him to assist in a contest to design the bridesmaid outfits for the wedding of Grace Kelly to Rainier III, Prince of Monaco. He worked closely with fashion designer Joe Allen Hong to come up with ideas and strategies for winning the contest. Lawrence flew to Monaco to scout the location of the wedding at Saint Nicholas Cathedral to give Hong as many ideas and leads as possible. The winning design was submitted by Hong and since he was considered a minority of Mexican and Chinese descent Neiman Marcus further burnished its image of being a multicultural friendly concern.
As Neiman Marcus outgrew Dallas in the 1950s and then Texas in the 1970s, family ownership was diluted and Stanley ceased to be active in day to day operations. Lawrence continued to work as a VP and other family members in the next generation such as Stanley's son Richard Marcus worked from time to time in varying roles. In 2005 Neiman Marcus was taken private by TPG Capital and Warburg Pincus and family ownership ceased. Lawrence attended the 100th year anniversary celebration of Neiman Marcus' founding in 2007 and told stories about his brothers and other family members.
- Minding the Store - Stanley Marcus - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Lawrence Marcus Dead at 96". WWD. 3 November 2013. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Fashion Hall of Obscurity – Joe Allen Hong | Jonathan Walford's Blog". Kickshawproductions.com. 2011-03-29. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- Grace Kelly: Icon of Style to Royal Bride - H. Kristina Haugland - Google Books. Books.google.com. 2006-05-28. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Lawrence Marcus Chatting with Joe Hong - U1102848 - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis". Corbisimages.com. 1956-03-25. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- Lone Stars of David: The Jews of Texas - Hollace Ava Weiner, Kenneth Roseman - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- Marcus, Michael N. (2007-09-11). "For The First Time (or the last time): 1907: Neiman Marcus opens for business". 4thefirsttime.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Group to buy Neiman Marcus for $5.1B - May. 2, 2005". Money.cnn.com. 2005-05-02. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Marcus Family Severs Ties as Neiman Names New CEO - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. 2009-10-07. Retrieved 2012-10-02.