Le Grand Chef
|Le Grand Chef|
Promotional poster for Le Grand Chef
|Directed by||Jeon Yun-su|
|Produced by||Hwang Hyeon-jeong|
|Written by||Jeon Yun-su
by Huh Young-man
|Edited by||Park Gok-ji|
ShowEast Co Ltd
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment
M-Line Distribution (international)
Le Grand Chef (Hangul: 식객; Hanja: 食客; RR: Sikgaek) is a 2007 South Korean film starring Kim Kang-woo, Im Won-hee and Lee Ha-na. Produced by ShowEast and distributed by CJ Entertainment, it was released on November 1, 2007 and ran for 114 minutes.
At a press conference, the cooking knife of the last Royal Chef of Joseon Dynasty is presented to the public. The chef, who did not wish to cook for the Japanese imperial rulers, cut off his hand with this knife. The Japanese bureaucrat at the time was moved by the chef's loyalty to king and country, and kept it upon his return to Japan. Now, to redeem past evils, his son has decided to return it to Korea. In order to find a deserving owner he announces a nationwide culinary competition to find the best cook to own this knife, and become the true heir of the last Korean Royal Chef of Joseon Dynasty.
Archenemies Seong-chan (Kim Kang-woo) and Bong-ju (Im Won-hee) rekindle their longstanding rivalry as they sharpen their knives. Five years before, the two had competed to take over Unamjeong, a renowned Korean restaurant. But Seong-chan suffered a critical blow when his blowfish dish poisons the jurors. Distraught, he retires to the countryside, while Bong-ju exploits the wealth and fame of his inheritance. With the help of Jin-su (Lee Ha-na), a pretty, energetic reporter, Seong-chan makes a comeback. But now, he must not only battle the blindly ambitious Bong-ju, but also face the corrupt jurors and take care of his Alzheimer's-struck grandfather, and also take a few moments to contemplate the budding romance with Jin-su.
- Kim Kang-woo as Seong-chan
- Lee Ha-na as Jin-su
- Im Won-hee as Bong-ju
- Jung Eun-pyo - Ho-seong, Seong-chan's sous-chef in the competition
- Lee Min-ho - young Seong-chan
- Kim Seong-won - finals commentator
- Jung Jin
- "Box office by Country: Le Grand Chef". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- "Le Grand Chef depicts story of talented cook". The Korea Herald via Hancinema. 25 October 2007. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Le Grand Chef (2007)". Korean Film Council. 1 November 2007. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Won-jin (19 December 2007). "Myth man sketches his own destiny". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Korean Movie Night: Le Grand Chef (Shik-gaek) January 18-24 2008". Korean Cultural Service New York. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Korean Movie Night: Le Grand Chef (Shik-gaek) 2008". Korean Cultural Service New York. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Yang, Sung-jin (22 October 2007). "Le Grand Chef offers visual feast with colorful food contest". The Korea Herald via Hancinema. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- Lee, Hyo-won (25 October 2007). "Chef Overfeeds Gourmet Drama". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- "South Korea Box Office: December 7–9, 2007". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- Yi, Ch'ang-ho (13 December 2007). "Le Grand Chef Tops 4th quarter of 2007". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2013-03-06.
- "Theatrical Releases in 2007: Box-Office Admission Results". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2013-03-06.
- Kwon Mee-yoo; Han Sang-hee (8 January 2008). "Dramas Feature Professionals, Comics". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-03-06.
- "Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle (2009)". The Chosun Ilbo. 29 January 2010. Retrieved 2012-11-18.