Lê Lương Minh
|Lê Lương Minh|
|13th Secretary General of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations|
1 January 2013
|Preceded by||Surin Pitsuwan|
|Permanent Representative of Vietnam to the United Nations|
January 2004 – June 2011
|Preceded by||Nguyen Thanh Chau|
|Succeeded by||Le Hoai Trung|
1 September 1952 |
Thanh Hóa, Vietnam
|Political party||Communist Party|
|Alma mater||Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam
Jawaharlal Nehru University
In 1975, he began his career in Vietnam's Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He was appointed Deputy Director-General for International Organisations in 1993. In 1995, he was appointed as Ambassador – Permanent Representative to the United Nations Office and Other International Organisations in Geneva. In 1997, he was appointed as Ambassador – Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations at Headquarters. Since February 17, 2004, he has been Vietnam's ambassador to the United Nations in New York City. He held this office from 1995 to 1997 for the UN institutions in Geneva and as a deputy in New York City from 1997 to 1999. He was the President of the United Nations Security Council in July 2008 and October 2009. He was nominated ASEAN Secretary-General by the government of Vietnam, a post which he took over on January 1, 2013. The ASEAN leaders endorsed him as ASEAN Secretary-General for 2013–2017 in a ceremony at the bloc's headquarter in Jakarta on January 7, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lê Lương Minh.|
- "Background: Who is Le Luong Minh, ASEAN Secretary-General?". Investvine.com. 16 January 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Permanent Mission of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam
- ASEAN khẳng định tiến tới COC | Thanh Niên Online
- Vietnam Government Portal "Ambassador Lê Lương Minh, Vietnamese representative to the UNSC"
- "New ASEAN Secretary-General takes office". Investvine.com. 7 January 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Security Council Press Statement On Kabul Bomb Attack
- Security Council Press Statement on the Kabul Bomb Attack
|Secretary General of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations