Before Watchmen: Rorschach
Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
|Awards||IGN Comics Award Best Graphic Novel 2008 |
2015 Eisner Awards Best Short Story (nominated)
Lee Bermejo is an American comics artist whose published work includes interior illustrations and cover art. He is best known for his collaborations with writer Brian Azzarello including Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, the Joker graphic novel, and Before Watchmen: Rorschach.
Lee Bermejo's career began in 1997 as an intern at WildStorm. He is self-taught, with little formal art training. His first credited comics work appeared in Gen¹³ #43 (Sept. 1999) Together with writer Joe Kelly and co-artist Doug Mahnke, Bermejo crafted the "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?" story in Action Comics #775 (March 2001). He and writer Brian Azzarello collaborated on the Lex Luthor: Man of Steel limited series in 2005 and the Joker graphic novel in 2008. In 2009, Bermejo drew the Superman story in the Wednesday Comics limited series. Bermejo both wrote and drew the Batman: Noël graphic novel in 2011. He and Azzarello worked together again on the Before Watchmen: Rorschach limited series in 2012–2013. In 2015, Bermejo launched the Suiciders series for Vertigo and We Are Robin for the main DC Comics line. Bermejo drew the 2000s variant cover for Action Comics #1000 (June 2018).
- Action Comics #775 (with Doug Mahnke), #800, 836 (among other artists) (2001–2006)
- Batman Black and White vol. 2 #3 (2014)
- Batman: Damned #1–3 (2018–2019)
- Batman / Deathblow: After the Fire #1–3 (2002)
- Batman: Noël graphic novel (2011)
- Before Watchmen: Rorschach miniseries, #1–4 (2012–2013)
- Joker graphic novel (2008)
- Lex Luthor: Man of Steel miniseries #1–5 (2005)
- Mad Max: Fury Road: Inspired Artists (among other artists) (2015)
- Superman vol. 2 #202 (Lex Luthor) (2004)
- Superman/Batman #75 (two pages) (2010)
- Superman/Gen 13 #1–3 (2000)
- Wednesday Comics #1–12 (Superman (one-page each issue)(2009)
- Resident Evil #1–3 (1998)
- Action Comics #1000 variant
- Adventures of Superman #575, 617–618
- Area 10 graphic novel (2010)
- Batman: Gotham Knights #50–55
- The Bronx Kill graphic novel (2010)
- Checkmate #1–5
- The Chill graphic novel (2010)
- Daredevil #88–93, 100
- Dark Entries graphic novel (2009)
- Dark Reign Elektra #1–5
- Fear Itself Captain America #7.2 variant
- Fight Club 2 #1 variant
- Filthy Rich graphic novel (2009)
- Hellblazer #218, 221–238, 243–255
- Rumble #6 variant
- The Stand: Captain Trips #1–5
- The Stand: American Nightmares #1–5
- X-Men: Legacy #220–224
- IGN Comics Award - Best Graphic Novel 2008 Joker (DC Comics)
- 2015 Eisner Awards - Best Short Story for "Rule Number One" (nominated)
- White, Brett (August 29, 2008). "Lee Bermejo Q&A". Wizard. Archived from the original on September 9, 2008.
- Thibault, Jason (May 11, 2009). "Lee Bermejo – Master of Pencil and Ink". OptimumWound.com. Archived from the original on June 19, 2012.
- Lee Bermejo at the Grand Comics Database
- Manning, Matthew K.; Dougall, Alastair, ed. (2014). "2000s". Batman: A Visual History. London, United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. p. 300. ISBN 978-1465424563.
Writer Brian Azzarello and artist Lee Bermejo took on the Clown Prince of Crime when they crafted this hardcover graphic novel about the Joker's latest release from Arkham Asylum.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- Cowsill, Alan; Dolan, Hannah, ed. (2010). "2000s". DC Comics Year By Year A Visual Chronicle. London, United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. p. 338. ISBN 978-0-7566-6742-9.
Wednesday Comics was a broadsheet anthology created to be reminiscent of the comic section in Sunday newspapers. It also brought together some of the medium's top creators...'Superman' with a script by John Arcudi, and art by Lee Bermejo.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- Renaud, Jeffrey (September 16, 2009). "Wednesday Comics: Arcudi & Bermejo". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on October 12, 2012.
- Esposito, Joey (November 3, 2011). "Batman: Noël Review". IGN. Archived from the original on December 8, 2013. Retrieved December 7, 2013.
- Gerding, Stephen (March 7, 2012). "DC Comics Releases Lee Bermejo Before Watchmen Art". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on June 20, 2012.
- Johnston, Rich (July 1, 2013). "All Six New Vertigo Titles, Including Lee Bermejo's Suiciders And Caitlin Kittredge And Inaki Miranda's Coffin Hill". Bleeding Cool. Archived from the original on October 22, 2013. Retrieved December 8, 2013.
- Rogers, Vaneta (February 25, 2015). "We Are Robin Writer Bermejo Launches Suiciders At Vertigo". Newsarama. Archived from the original on August 8, 2015.
- "DC Unveils Final Variant For Action Comics #1000". Previews. Diamond Comic Distributors. March 7, 2018. Archived from the original on August 8, 2018.
- "Best Original Graphic Novel". IGN. n.d. Archived from the original on August 15, 2012. Retrieved December 7, 2013.
- Arrant, Chris (July 11, 2015). "2015 Eisner Awards Winners (Full List)". Newsarama. Archived from the original on July 14, 2015. Retrieved July 14, 2015.