February 27, 1970 |
In 1990 Nyberg put together her own band, the Lina Nyberg Quintet, comprising Per "Texas" Johansson, Esbjörn Svensson, Dan Berglund, and Mikel Ulfberg. After her graduation at the Stockholm Royal College of Music as a Master of Fine Arts in 1993, Nyberg released her debut solo album Close (1993), a duo recording with late pianist Esbjörn Svensson from the well known Swedish trio EST, and it became an instant success and Swedish jazz classic. This was also the beginning of a fruitful cooperation with the producer and owner of Prophone Records, Erland Boëthius.
In 1995 the Lina Nyberg Quintet was awarded a Swedish Grammy Award for the album When the Smile Shines Through. Nyberg has released over fourteen albums as a solo artist, filling the roles of composer, record producer, and singer. In September 2011 she released Palaver (Moserobie Records). Her music is a mixture of influences from Brazilian tropicalia, European free form, contemporary classical, the Great American Songbook, and traditional jazz.
- Swedish Grammy, Jazz CD of the year (1994)
- Jazz musician of the Year prize (Swedish Radio, March 2011)
- Guest of Honour at the Umeå International Jazz Festival (October 2011)
- 1993 – Close (Prophone)
- 1994 – When the Smile Shines Through (Prophone)
- 1996 – So Many Stars (Prophone)
- 1996 – Quintet (Prophone)
- 1997 – Temper (Prophone)
- 1998 – Open (Prophone)
- 2000 – Smile (Prophone)
- 2001 – Brasilien (Prophone)
- 2003 – Time (Prophone)
- 2004 – A Song Book (Spice of Life)
- 2004 – Saragasso (Moserobie)
- 2006 – Tellus (Moserobie)
- 2007 – Brasil Big Bom (Caprice)
- 2009 – The Show (Moserobie)
- 2010 – West Side Story (Hoob)
- 2011 – Palaver (Moserobie)
- 2013 – The Sirenades (Hoob), released 2014
- 2016 – Aerials (Hoob)
- "Lina Nyberg". Biography. MyMusicBase.ru. Retrieved 2014-11-09.
- Buchmann, Anja (2009-03-16). "Lina Nyberg "Pling"" (in German). Deutschlandfunk. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- "Lina Nyberg Band". Ottawa Jazz Festival. 23 June 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "Lina Nyberg - Saragasso" (in Swedish). Svenska Dagbladet. 8 October 2004. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Hareuveni, Eyal (2014-04-02). "Lina Nyberg: The Sirenades". Musical reviews. All About Jazz. Retrieved 2014-11-09.
- "Lina Nyberg". Discography. All Music. Retrieved 2014-11-09.
|This article about a Swedish musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|