Lindsey Kelk, photographed in 2012
October 3, 1980|
Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England
|Notable works||"I heart" series and “A girl" series.|
Lindsey Kelk is a bestselling British author, journalist and formerly worked as a children's book editor. She was initially signed up to a three-book deal by publishers HarperCollins following the submission of a manuscript for her first novel. She has now had 13 novels published, and two e-books. She lives in Los Angeles, California.
She was inspired to write her first book, I heart New York, after returning from a holiday to New York City to her home in London, England, and being unable to get over post-vacation blues. She immediately decided that it would be a series of books, each taking in different cities, partly inspired by her teen experience of reading the Sweet Valley High series of novels. She found an agent through a roundabout route; having sent out copies of I heart New York to various agents and having received several rejection letters, one agent got in contact with Kelk. However, it transpired that the agent disliked the book and wanted her to work on a different project, and that she "would have to use a pseudonym because [her] name sounded like a cat being sick". Kelk decided not to sign with the agent and instead asked a friend who worked with book publisher HarperCollins to recommend one. The friend handed a copy of the book to the commercial women’s fiction team, who signed her to a three-book deal.
Kelk writes a blog on her website and has written for many women's magazines, including a monthly column for magazine Marie Claire. In 2009 she moved with her full-time job as a children's book editor to New York itself, something she said was following in the footsteps of the lead character from her book series. She currently works as a full-time writer.
After a visit to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls during a road trip in 2010, she decided to write the location into one of her books. I heart Hollywood was nominated for the People's Choice Award in the inaugural Pure Passion Awards in 2010, an awards ceremony set up by the Romantic Novelists' Association. At the following year's awards, I heart Paris was nominated for Romantic Comedy Novel of the Year.
Her novel, I Heart Christmas, spent two weeks on The Sunday Times bestseller list in December 2013.
Her favourite book of all time is The Secret History by Donna Tartt. she previously lived in Williamsburg and Park Slope, Brooklyn. but moved to Los Angeles in 2015. She is a big fan of World Wrestling Entertainment and often guest hosts an LA-based wrestling podcast called Tights and Fights.
- I heart New York. London: Harper. 2009. ISBN 9780007306114.
- I heart Hollywood. London: Harper. 2010. ISBN 9780007288403.
- I heart Paris. London: Harper. 2010. ISBN 9780007288410.
- The Single Girl's To Do List. London: Harper. 2011. ISBN 9780007345632.
- Jenny Lopez Has a Bad Week. London: Harper. 2011. (ebook only)
- I heart Vegas. London: Harper. 2011. ISBN 9780007345625.
- I heart London. London: Harper. 2012. ISBN 9780007462278.
- About a Girl. London: Harper. 2013. ISBN 9780007497980.
- I heart Christmas. London: Harper. 2013. ISBN 9780007501502.
- What a Girl Wants. London: Harper. 2014. ISBN 9780007501533.
- Jenny Lopez saves Christmas. London: Harper. 2014. ISBN 9780007501564. (ebook only)
- Always the Bridesmaid. London: Harper. 2015. ISBN 9780007582341.
- A Girl's Best Friend. London: Harper. 2015. ISBN 9780007582372.
- We Were On A Break. 2016. 9780007582419.
- I Heart Forever. HarperCollins. 2017. ISBN 9780008236816.
- "The New Yorker: Lindsey Kelk". Marie Claire. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- Calvani, Mayra (13 October 2009). "Interview with Lindsey Kelk, Author of I Heart New York". Blogcritics. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- "Lindsey Kelk Interview". NovelKicks.co.uk. Archived from the original on 12 January 2011. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- Kelk, Lindsey (8 August 2011). "Lindsey Kelk: I Heart Canada". National Post. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- "Pure Passion Awards created by the Romantic Novelists' Association". Best Books. 12 February 2010. Retrieved 19 May 2012. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Pure Passion Awards 2011". LoveReading.co.uk. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-28. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- K, Spencer (25 January 2012). "Lindsey Kelk". 12 Questions. Retrieved 19 May 2012.