Surgeon Rear Admiral. Jarvis at a charity event
|Years of service||1977 -|
|Awards||Knight of the Order of St John|
Surgeon Rear Admiral Lionel John Jarvis, CBE, QHS, is the Surgeon General of the Royal Navy and the Assistant Chief of the Defence Staff for Health. He served as the Royal Navy's Chief Medical Officer and Medical Director General (Naval) until April 2012. He is also an Honorary Surgeon to the Queen (QHS).
He served originally at the Royal Naval Hospitals of Plymouth and Haslar. He went on to serve at HMS Cochrane and on board the ships HMS Jupiter, HMS Ambuscade, HMS Berwick, RFA Argus and HMS Amazon.
By 1982, he had qualified as a specialist in General Medicine, and became General Physician at RNH Gibraltar until 1984. Jarvis' career changed again by 1990, when he accredited as a Consultant Radiologist and moved, upon promotion to Surgeon Commander, back to RNH Haslar. Based back in the United Kingdom, Jarvis has been able to co-author a number of publications relating to the effects of climate change on the medical world, which he is passionate about.
During his tenure at Haslar, Lionel Jarvis was the Defence Consultant Advisor in Radiology and he won the Erroll-Eldridge Prize for developing the Defence Magnetic Resonance Imaging in 1998.He was promoted to Surgeon Rear Admiral in June 2008 and furthermore became the Assistant Chief of the Defence Staff for Health. He became the Chief Naval Medical Officer and the Medical Director General (Navy) in 2011, posts he vacated in April 2012. He was succeeded in post by Surgeon Commodore C. J. G McArthur.
He was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2012 New Year Honours. In June 2016, he was appointed as a Knight of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem.
Jarvis is married to Dr Penelope Gordon, who is also a consultant radiologist. They have four children.
- "PubMed.gov". J R Nav Med Serv. 96 (1): 3–4. 2010. PMID 20608003.
- "TheIET Lionel Jarvis Biography" (PDF). Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- Climate Change, Ill Health and Conflict - British Medical Journal Article
- Article about British Medical Journal entry
- Daily Telegraph 'Senior Royal Navy Appointment'; Monday, 30 April 2012
- "(Supplement) no. 60009". The London Gazette. 31 December 2011. p. 4.
- New Year Honours List 2012: full list, Telegraph.co.uk
- "no. 61619". The London Gazette. 15 June 2016. p. 13264. Retrieved 17 June 2016.