Liozna (Belarusian: Лёзна, Polish: Łoźna, Russian: Лиозно, Yiddish: לאדי) is a town in Vitebsk Region, Belarus, the capital of Liozna District. It is located close to the border with Russia by the Vitebsk-Smolensk railroad branch and highway, on the Moshna River. Population: 6,753 (2005)
The first known record of the Liozno shtetl (small town with a high Jewish population) is dated by 1654.
Notable people associated with Liozna
- Marc Chagall, Russian-French painter
- Schneur Zalman, the first Rebbe of the Chabad-Lubavitch Hasidic dynasty
- Dovber Schneuri, the second Rebbe of the Chabad-Lubavitch Hasidic dynasty
- Menachem Mendel Schneersohn, the third Rebbe of the Chabad-Lubavitch Hasidic dynasty
- Liozno home page
- Liozno book memory
- Liozno newspaper "Styag Peramogi"
- Liozno satellite image
- The murder of the Jews of Liozna during World War II, at Yad Vashem website
- Lyëzna, Belarus at JewishGen
|This Belarus location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|