Liquidnet is a global institutional dark pool trading network that connects asset managers with liquidity. Liquidnet trades in 45 equity markets for asset management firms who collectively manage US$15 trillion.
Merrin estimated that the network needed at least 100 buy side firms live on Day One to create a critical mass. This number was revised to 75, but the company ultimately launched with only 38 institutions.
Merrin describes his company as “creating marketplaces that enable institutions to trade in size with the efficiency that they sorely need.” In the U.S., Liquidnet’s average execution size of 50,000 shares is 200 times the size of the 250-share average traded in all lit and dark venues. Liquidnet’s average execution in international equities is reportedly 100 times larger than the average.
Liquidnet has an Equity Capital Markets and Issuer Services group which leverages its community of institutional investors to determine institutional demand for a stock.
In October 2011 Liquidnet launched a private shares market. As part of Liquidnet’s equity capital markets division, the Private Shares group works with institutional investors and companies looking to trade private shares.
In 2017, Liquidnet acquired OTAS Technologies, a market-leading analytics platform that delivers actionable market intelligence and context directly to institutional traders and portfolio managers.
SIX Swiss Exchange and Liquidnet launched a platform for non-displayed equity block trading in July 2011. The platform allows SIX Swiss Exchange members and Liquidnet’s buy side members to execute large block trades.
Founder and CEO, Seth Merrin Seth is an entrepreneur, global business leader and philanthropist.
Head of EMEA, Mark Pumfrey
Head of APAC, Lee Porter
- Liquidnet Continues to Dominate Block Trading Globally During Third Quarter | Reuters
- Liquidnet opens fourth office in Singapore | TopNews Singapore
- Seth Merrin: Imagining Wholesale Change - Advanced Trading
- Liquidnet attracts corporate share buy backs - FT.com
- Dark pool launches private share market - FT.com
- Liquidnet Hires Lou Kerner, Enters Secondary Market for Private Shares - NYTimes.com
- SIX exchange, Liquidnet report progress - FT.com
- Liquidnet And SIX Swiss Exchange Launch Platform For Non-Displayed Block Trading - Wall Street & Technology
- Liquidnet Announces Strategic Investment in OTR Global
- Liquidnet awarded two trading patents