List of High Commissioners of the United Kingdom to Barbados
|British High Commissioner to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean|
Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom
|Inaugural holder||John S. Bennett, CBE, CVO|
The High Commissioner of the United Kingdom to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean is the United Kingdom's foremost diplomatic representative in Barbados, and head of the UK's diplomatic mission in Bridgetown, Barbados.
As fellow Commonwealth realms and members of Commonwealth of Nations, diplomatic relations between the United Kingdom and Barbados are at the governmental level, rather than between their heads of state (Queen Elizabeth II is head of state of both). Thus, the countries exchange high commissioners, rather than ambassadors.
The Barbados High Commission also covers several other nations in the Eastern Caribbean:
- Antigua and Barbuda (since June 2008);
- The Commonwealth of Dominica;
- Grenada (since 2006);
- The Federation of Saint Kitts and Nevis (passed from Antigua to Barbados in June 2008);
- Saint Lucia;
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (since 2007).
List of heads of mission
High Commissioners to Barbados
- 1966–1970: John S. Bennett, CBE, CVO
- 1971–1973: Sir David Roberts, KBE, CMG
- 1973–1978: Charles Stuart Roberts, CMG
- 1978–1982: James Stanley Arthur, CMG
- 1982–1983: John Morrison, 2nd Viscount Dunrossil, CMG
- 1983–1986: Sir Giles Bullard, KCVO, CMG
- 1986–1990: Kevin Francis Xavier Burns, CMG
- 1990–1994: Emrys T. Davies, CMG
- 1994–1998: Richard Thomas, CMG
- 1998–2001: Gordon M. Baker
- 2001–2005: C. John B. White
- 2005–2009: Duncan Taylor, CBE
- 2010–2013: Paul Brummell
- 2013–2017: Victoria Dean
- 2017–present[update]: Janet Douglas
- Born 24 May 1918; son of late Charles William Roberts and Dorothy Roberts; married 1946, Margaret Ethel Jones, two daughters, one son; 1936: Colonial Office; 1940-1946: Royal Navy; 1946: Colonial Office; 1949-1950: Assistant Private Secretary to Secretary of State for the Colonies; 1975: CMG; died 30 January 1989 — The Diplomatic Service List.
- "BULLARD, Sir Giles (Lionel)". Who Was Who. A & C Black. 1920–2008. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- James, Sally, Diplomatic Moves: Life in the Foreign Service, Radcliffe Press, 1995, page 206
- "Appointment of John White". Archived from the original on 5 June 2011.
- New British High Commissioner arrives in Barbados, British High Commission Bridgetown, 7 November 2013
- Change of British High Commissioner to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, 10 April 2017