List of Jewish American linguists
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a list of notable Jewish American linguists.
For other famous Jewish Americans, see List of Jewish Americans.
- Cyrus Gordon. Semiticist, discovered ancient Crete Mioan was Northwest Semitic
- Dan I. Slobin, (psycho)linguist, studies linguistics and acquisition of signed languages of the deaf
- Deborah Tannen, sociolinguist with a focus on gender linguistics
- Dennis Baron, linguist
- Edward Sapir, anthropologist-linguist, founder of enthnolinguistics
- Fred Lukoff, linguist
- Geoffrey Nunberg, linguist
- George Lakoff, sociolinguist, focuses on how language influences politics
- Jay Jasanoff, Indo-European linguist
- Jerry Fodor, philosopher and cognitive scientist
- Joseph Greenberg, language classification, created a unified classification of African languages
- Joshua Fishman, sociolinguist
- Leonard Bloomfield, linguist
- Leonard Talmy, linguist
- Maria Polinsky, linguist
- María Rosa Lida de Malkiel, Spanish philologist
- Mary Haas, linguist
- Max Weinreich, linguist
- Michel Thomas, linguist, language teacher
- Morris Halle, linguist
- Morris Swadesh, linguist
- Noam Chomsky, linguist and political philosopher (atheist)
- Ray Jackendoff, linguist
- Roman Jakobson, Prague School of linguistics
- Samuel Noah Kramer, Sumerologist, known as the "father of Assyriology and Sumerology"
- Talmy Givón, linguist
- Uriel Weinreich, linguist
- William Labov, sociolinguist, awarded the Neil and Saras Smith Medal for Linguistics by the British Academy (2015)
- Yakov Malkiel, Romance philologist
- Zellig Harris, structural linguist
- "Cyrus Gordon Dies at 92, Studied Ancient Languages". New York Times.
- "Dan I. Slobin". Berkeley Psychology.
- "DEBORAH TANNEN, PHD". Georgetown University Medical Center.
- "Edward Sapir AMERICAN LINGUIST". Encyclopedia Britannica.
- "George Lakoff: 'Conservatives don't follow the polls, they want to change them … Liberals do everything wrong'". The Guardian.
- "Jay Jasanoff". 2005 LSA Institute.
- "Joseph H. Greenberg AMERICAN ANTHROPOLOGIST AND LINGUIST". Encyclopedia Britannica.
- "A Brief History of M. R. Lida de Malkiel" (PDF). University of Berkeley.
- "World-Renowned Linguist Noam Chomsky Joins UA Faculty". UANews. Retrieved 2017-09-11.
- "Samuel Noah Kramer, 93, Dies; Was Leading Authority on Sumer". New York Times.
- "William Labov receives the Neil and Saras Smith Medal for Linguistics from the British Academy". Department of Linguistics. University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- "Guide to the Yakov Malkiel Papers, 1882-1998, bulk 1942-1992". Online Archive of California.