List of National Basketball Association single-game steals leaders
50 different players have recorded nine or more steals in a game. It has occurred 71 times in total in NBA history.
Allen Iverson is the only player to record nine or more steals in a playoff game.
The NBA did not record steals until the 1973–74 season.
|^||Active NBA player|
|*||Inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame|
|Occurred in playoff competition|
|Player's team lost the game|
|Steals||Player||Team||Score||Opponent||Date||Minutes played||Points||Rebounds||Assists||Triple-double||Led the league in steals||Notes||Ref.|
|11||Kenon, LarryLarry Kenon||San Antonio Spurs||110–105||Kansas City Kings||December 26, 1976||44||29||15||4||Yes||No|
|11||Gill, KendallKendall Gill||New Jersey Nets||88–77||Miami Heat||April 3, 1999||40||15||10||3||Yes||Yes||[a]|
|10||West, JerryJerry West*||Los Angeles Lakers||111–115||Seattle SuperSonics||December 7, 1973||37||27||5||5||No||No||[b]|
|10||Steele, LarryLarry Steele||Portland Trail Blazers||112–99||Los Angeles Lakers||November 16, 1974||44||12||11||9||Yes||No||[c]|
|10||Brown, FredFred Brown||Seattle SuperSonics||121–112||Philadelphia 76ers||December 3, 1976||40||29||3||7||No||No||[d]|
|10||Williams, GusGus Williams||Seattle SuperSonics||94–83||New Jersey Nets||February 22, 1978||42||31||4||4||No||No|
|10||Jordan, EddieEddie Jordan||New Jersey Nets||98–110||Philadelphia 76ers||March 23, 1979||39||13||1||1||No||No||[e]|
|10||Moore, JohnnyJohnny Moore||San Antonio Spurs||108–102||Indiana Pacers||March 6, 1985||35||16||7||8||No||No|
|10||Lever, Lafayette "Fat"Lafayette "Fat" Lever||Denver Nuggets||126–116||Indiana Pacers||March 9, 1985||31||13||4||15||Yes||No||[f]|
|10||Drexler, ClydeClyde Drexler*||Portland Trail Blazers||89–95||Milwaukee Bucks||January 10, 1986||42||26||9||11||Yes||No||[g]|
|10||Robertson, AlvinAlvin Robertson||San Antonio Spurs||120–114||Phoenix Suns||February 18, 1986||36||20||11||10||Yes||Yes||[h]|
|10||Robertson, AlvinAlvin Robertson (2)||San Antonio Spurs||109–102||Los Angeles Clippers||November 22, 1986||39||30||5||6||No||Yes|
|10||Harper, RonRon Harper||Cleveland Cavaliers||91–100||Philadelphia 76ers||March 10, 1987||44||28||5||7||No||No||[i]|
|10||Jordan, MichaelMichael Jordan*||Chicago Bulls||120–93||New Jersey Nets||January 29, 1988||27||32||1||4||No||Yes||[j]|
|10||Robertson, AlvinAlvin Robertson (3)||San Antonio Spurs||117–122||Houston Rockets||January 11, 1989||44||20||5||7||No||No||[k]|
|10||Robertson, AlvinAlvin Robertson (4)||Milwaukee Bucks||114–104||Utah Jazz||November 19, 1990||39||16||3||9||No||Yes|
|10||Johnson, KevinKevin Johnson||Phoenix Suns||114–95||Washington Bullets||December 9, 1993||38||17||3||13||Yes||No|
|10||Drexler, ClydeClyde Drexler* (2)||Houston Rockets||96–85||Sacramento Kings||November 1, 1996||42||25||10||9||Yes||No||[l]|
|10||Blaylock, Daron "Mookie"Daron "Mookie" Blaylock||Atlanta Hawks||95–94||Philadelphia 76ers||April 14, 1998||44||14||8||11||Yes||Yes|
|10||Iverson, AllenAllen Iverson*||Philadelphia 76ers||97–85||Orlando Magic||May 13, 1999||43||33||5||5||No||–||[m]|
|10||Finley, MichaelMichael Finley||Dallas Mavericks||98–114||Philadelphia 76ers||January 23, 2001||45||27||6||7||No||No||[n]|
|10||Roy, BrandonBrandon Roy||Portland Trail Blazers||100–87||Washington Wizards||January 24, 2009||39:04||22||5||7||No||No|
|10||Green, DraymondDraymond Green^||Golden State Warriors||122-107||Memphis Grizzlies||February 10, 2017||38||4||12||10||Yes||No||[o]|
|9||Murphy, CalvinCalvin Murphy*||Houston Rockets||106–114||Boston Celtics||December 14, 1973||43||21||2||10||No||No|
|9||Steele, LarryLarry Steele (2)||Portland Trail Blazers||107–102||Los Angeles Lakers||March 5, 1974||40||15||5||10||No||Yes|
|9||Barry, RickRick Barry*||Golden State Warriors||130–101||Buffalo Braves||October 29, 1974||43||30||10||11||Yes||Yes||[p]|
|9||Watts, Don "Slick"Don "Slick" Watts||Seattle SuperSonics||100–114||Philadelphia 76ers||February 23, 1975||43||13||6||14||No||No||[q]|
|9||Steele, LarryLarry Steele (3)||Portland Trail Blazers||120–98||Phoenix Suns||March 7, 1975||39||12||5||5||No||No|
|9||Steele, LarryLarry Steele (4)||Portland Trail Blazers||114–103||Detroit Pistons||March 14, 1976||40||22||7||8||No||No|
|9||Buckner, QuinnQuinn Buckner||Milwaukee Bucks||109–116||Indiana Pacers||January 2, 1977||33||16||7||7||No||No||[r]|
|9||Watts, Don "Slick"Don "Slick" Watts (2)||Seattle SuperSonics||100–121||Phoenix Suns||March 27, 1977||36||14||3||8||No||No|
|9||Tatum, EarlEarl Tatum||Detroit Pistons||105–103||Los Angeles Lakers||November 28, 1978||33||19||2||2||No||No|
|9||Williams, GusGus Williams (2)||Seattle SuperSonics||103–100||Washington Bullets||January 23, 1979||37||24||7||6||No||No||[s]|
|9||Lee, RonRon Lee||Detroit Pistons||99–102||Houston Rockets||March 16, 1980||42||20||5||6||No||No||[t]|
|9||Bradley, DudleyDudley Bradley||Indiana Pacers||106–108||Utah Jazz||November 10, 1980||39||14||2||6||No||No||[u]|
|9||Bradley, DudleyDudley Bradley (2)||Indiana Pacers||117–101||Cleveland Cavaliers||November 29, 1980||28||11||0||2||No||No||[v]|
|9||Richardson, Micheal RayMicheal Ray Richardson||New York Knicks||114–117||Chicago Bulls||December 23, 1980||44||19||6||6||No||No|
|9||High, JohnnyJohnny High||Phoenix Suns||98–108||Washington Bullets||January 28, 1981||26||11||4||2||No||No|
|9||Johnson, Earvin "Magic"Earvin "Magic" Johnson*||Los Angeles Lakers||99–101||Phoenix Suns||November 6, 1981||40||11||7||16||No||Yes||[w]|
|9||Sikma, JackJack Sikma||Seattle SuperSonics||110–103||Kansas City Kings||January 27, 1982||40||20||9||3||No||No|
|9||Green, RickeyRickey Green||Utah Jazz||125–119||Denver Nuggets||November 10, 1982||45||24||5||11||No||No|
|9||Green, RickeyRickey Green (2)||Utah Jazz||113–126||Philadelphia 76ers||November 27, 1982||44||26||7||12||No||No|
|9||Richardson, Micheal RayMicheal Ray Richardson (2)||Golden State Warriors||106–102||San Antonio Spurs||February 5, 1983||42||10||5||11||No||Yes|
|9||Cook, DarwinDarwin Cook||New Jersey Nets||122–128||Portland Trail Blazers||December 3, 1983||44||17||2||6||No||No||[x]|
|9||Williams, GusGus Williams (3)||Washington Bullets||119–104||Atlanta Hawks||October 30, 1984||39||23||5||9||No||No|
|9||Moore, JohnnyJohnny Moore (2)||San Antonio Spurs||139–94||Golden State Warriors||January 8, 1985||36||26||11||13||Yes||No||[y]|
|9||Bird, LarryLarry Bird*||Boston Celtics||110–94||Utah Jazz||February 18, 1985||33||30||12||10||Yes||No||[z]|
|9||Richardson, Micheal RayMicheal Ray Richardson (3)||New Jersey Nets||147–138||Indiana Pacers||October 30, 1985||54||38||11||11||Yes||No||[aa]|
|9||Cheeks, MauriceMaurice Cheeks||Philadelphia 76ers||108–102||Los Angeles Clippers||January 5, 1987||42||22||3||10||No||No||[ab]|
|9||Dunn, T. R.T. R. Dunn||Denver Nuggets||98–93||New Jersey Nets||January 6, 1988||32||2||5||3||No||No||[ac]|
|9||Jordan, MichaelMichael Jordan* (2)||Chicago Bulls||110–104||Boston Celtics||November 9, 1988||42||52||3||2||No||No||[ad]|
|9||Hawkins, HerseyHersey Hawkins||Philadelphia 76ers||116–94||Boston Celtics||January 25, 1991||41||38||8||6||No||No|
|9||Stockton, JohnJohn Stockton*||Utah Jazz||113–92||Houston Rockets||February 12, 1991||35||19||3||11||No||No|
|9||Adams, MichaelMichael Adams||Washington Bullets||109–103||Indiana Pacers||November 1, 1991||42||23||4||13||No||No|
|9||Rivers, Glenn "Doc"Glenn "Doc" Rivers||Los Angeles Clippers||111–87||Phoenix Suns||November 6, 1991||18||5||1||5||No||No||[ae]|
|9||Jordan, MichaelMichael Jordan* (3)||Chicago Bulls||118–105||New Jersey Nets||April 2, 1993||38||40||7||7||No||Yes|
|9||Lever, Lafayette "Fat"Lafayette "Fat" Lever (2)||Dallas Mavericks||87–77||Washington Bullets||February 10, 1994||34||4||7||3||No||No|
|9||Pippen, ScottieScottie Pippen*||Chicago Bulls||116–95||Atlanta Hawks||March 8, 1994||42||39||6||10||No||No|
|9||Murdock, EricEric Murdock||Milwaukee Bucks||96–104||Washington Bullets||April 2, 1994||37||18||5||7||No||No|
|9||Blaylock, Daron "Mookie"Daron "Mookie" Blaylock (2)||Atlanta Hawks||98–127||Houston Rockets||February 17, 1997||34||18||0||5||No||Yes|
|9||Christie, DougDoug Christie||Toronto Raptors||124–122||Denver Nuggets||February 25, 1997||46||27||5||3||No||No||[af]|
|9||Jones, EddieEddie Jones||Charlotte Hornets||98–89||Indiana Pacers||November 4, 1999||36||22||3||3||No||Yes|
|9||Pierce, PaulPaul Pierce^||Boston Celtics||96–84||Miami Heat||December 3, 1999||38||26||5||4||No||No||[ag]|
|9||Iverson, AllenAllen Iverson* (2)||Philadelphia 76ers||89–85||Orlando Magic||March 19, 2000||42||18||3||10||No||No||[ah]|
|9||Miller, AndreAndre Miller^||Cleveland Cavaliers||91–94||Philadelphia 76ers||December 15, 2001||44||14||4||22||No||No||[ai]|
|9||Iverson, AllenAllen Iverson* (3)||Philadelphia 76ers||107–104||Los Angeles Lakers||December 20, 2002||48||32||2||5||No||Yes||[aj]|
|9||Nowitzki, DirkDirk Nowitzki^||Dallas Mavericks||98–101||Houston Rockets||March 7, 2004||45||18||1||1||No||No|
|9||Alston, RaferRafer Alston||Houston Rockets||104–83||Charlotte Bobcats||February 10, 2007||41:13||14||1||8||No||No||[ak]|
|9||Paul, ChrisChris Paul^||New Orleans Hornets||104–93||Dallas Mavericks||February 20, 2008||40:38||31||5||11||No||Yes||[al]|
|9||Chalmers, MarioMario Chalmers^||Miami Heat||106–83||Philadelphia 76ers||November 5, 2008||30:32||6||4||6||No||No||[am]|
|9||Wall, JohnJohn Wall^||Washington Wizards||116–115||Philadelphia 76ers||November 2, 2010||44:48||29||2||13||No||No||[an]|
|9||Carter-Williams, MichaelMichael Carter-Williams^||Philadelphia 76ers||114–110||Miami Heat||October 30, 2013||36:10||22||7||12||No||No||[ao]|||
- NBA regular season records
- List of NCAA Division I men's basketball players with 11 or more steals in a game
- Kendall Gill had quarterly steals of 0, 5, 3 and 3. He had no steals in the first quarter.
- Jerry West had 6 steals in the first half and 4 steals in the second half.
- Larry Steele barely missed a quadruple-double, by one assist.
- Fred Brown had 8 steals in a half, tying the NBA record.
- This was the second game of a double header, which was only the second double header in NBA history.
- Fat Lever had 8 steals in the third quarter, setting the NBA record. He had 8 steals in the second half, tying the NBA record.
- Clyde Drexler barely missed a quadruple-double, by one rebound.
- Alvin Robertson achieved the second quadruple-double in NBA history. It is the only NBA quadruple-double with steals as one of the four statistics in double figures.
- Ron Harper established the rookie single-game record. He had five steals in each half.
- Michael Jordan had 6 steals within the third quarter. He left the game early due to the Bulls' comfortable lead.
- The game went to overtime.
- Clyde Drexler had 8 steals in the second half, tying the NBA record. It was the first game of the season, marking the most steals in a season opener. For a second time in his career, Drexler barely missed a quadruple-double, this time by one assist.
- Allen Iverson had quarterly steals of 3, 3, 3 and 1.
- Michael Finley had 8 steals in the first half, tying the NBA record. He had 5 steals in the first quarter.
- First player in NBA history to record 10 steals and 5 blocks in one game.
- Rick Barry barely missed a quadruple-double, by one steal.
- Slick Watts fouled out of the game.
- Quinn Buckner was a rookie. The Bucks combined for 21 steals.
- Gus Williams had 8 steals in the second half, tying the NBA record.
- Ron Lee shot 6–12 from three-point range, tying the NBA record for three-point attempts at the time.
- Dudley Bradley had eight steals in the second half, tying the NBA record. He had six steals in the fourth quarter.
- Dudley Bradley had five steals in the fourth quarter.
- Magic Johnson had five steals in a half and four steals in the other half.
- The game went to overtime. Darwin Cook fouled out.
- Johnny Moore barely missed a quadruple-double, by one steal.
- Larry Bird did not play in the fourth quarter due to the Celtics' 22 point lead, as well as his own volition. He barely missed a quadruple-double, by one steal.
- Micheal Ray Richardson registered a triple-double, and nearly reached a quadruple-double. The game went to triple overtime.
- Maurice Cheeks had seven steals in a half.
- T. R. Dunn did not start the game. Teammate Fat Lever had eight steals in the same game. It is the only time in NBA history that two teammates have both collected eight or more steals in the same game.
- Michael Jordan had 8 steals in the first half, tying the NBA record.
- Doc Rivers had seven steals in a half.
- The game went to overtime.
- Paul Pierce had six steals in the first quarter and seven steals in the first half.
- Allen Iverson had seven steals in the second half.
- Andre Miller had six steals in the second half.
- The game went to overtime.
- Rafer Alston had eight steals in the second half, tying the NBA record.
- Chris Paul had seven steals in the first half.
- Mario Chalmers was a rookie.
- John Wall was a rookie. He had seven steals in the second half. The game went to overtime.
- The game was Michael Carter-Williams' NBA debut, marking the most steals in an NBA debut.
- "Michael Carter-Williams, 76ers hold on, stun Dwyane Wade-less Heat". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Associated Press. October 30, 2013. Retrieved August 11, 2014.
- Sporting News, The (2005). 2005–06 Official NBA Guide.