List of Romanichals
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page makes mention of prominent individuals of Romanichal descent.
- listed alphabetically by surname
- Adam Ant (born 1954) – English punk/New Wave musician; of Romanichal descent
- Jake Bowers – journalist and broadcaster
- George Bramwell Evens – English journalist and writer
- James Carver – British MEP (Member of the European Parliament)
- Tracey Emin – British artist shortlisted for the Turner Prize, also known as one of the chief Young British Artists of the late 20th century
- Louise Doughty – English writer
- Freddy Eastwood – Welsh footballer (Southend United)
- Ian Hancock – Romani scholar and activist, born in UK, living in USA, Professor at the University of Texas
- Francis Hindes Groome – English writer
- Bob Hoskins – actor; a quarter Romanichal descent
- Raby Howell – nineteenth century English footballer (Liverpool, Sheffield United and Preston North End)
- Jentina – British Hip hop/R&B singer, rapper, songwriter and model
- Johnny Frankham – English light heavyweight boxer who knocked Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) to the floor in an exhibition fight
- Denny Laine aka Brian Hines – Moody Blues singer and guitarist
- Albert Lee (born 1943) – English guitarist.
- Jackie Leven – Scottish songwriter and folk musician
- Cher Lloyd (born 1993) – English singer and rapper, mother is Romanichal
- Joe Longthorne (born 1955) – English singer and impressionist
- David Morley – British poet, critic, anthologist, editor and scientist
- Róisín Mullins (born 1982) – English & Irish TV presenter, TV talent show judge, professional Irish dancer, stage show owner and choreographer
- Xavier Petulengro – writer and broadcaster, who frequently broadcast on BBC radio in the 1930s and 1940s
- Robert Plant (born 1948) – English singer and songwriter (former vocalist of Led Zeppelin); his mother is of Romanichal origin.
- Billy Joe Saunders – English boxer who won silver and became the first Romani boxer to represent Great Britain at the 2008 Olympic Games
- Rodney Smith – British evangelist who conducted evangelistic campaigns in the United States and the UK
- Lady Eleanor Furneaux Smith (1902–1945) – English writer of popular novels often romanticized historical and Romani setting; she believed her paternal great-grandmother to have been Romanichal
- James Squire – on the First Fleet to Australia; founder of the Australian brewing industry in 1798
- James Squire Farnell – grandson of James Squire and the first Australian-born Premier of New South Wales
- Henry Wharton – English middleweight boxing champion.
- "Who Do You Think You Are? – Tracey Emin, BBC One – The Arts Desk". Theartsdesk.com. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Derek Watts, Country Boy: A Biography of Albert Lee, Jefferson, NC; McFarland & Co., pp.6–9.