List of named minor planets (alphabetical)
This is a list of named minor planets in an alphabetical, case-insensitive order. New namings, typically proposed by the discoverer and approved by IAU's Working Group for Planetary System Nomenclature, are published by the Minor Planet Center in their Minor Planet Circular and summarized in a dedicated list several times a year.
Over the last three decades, the list has grown significantly with an average rate of 670 namings per year, that is, almost two new names were assigned every day. While in March 1979, only 1924 minor planets had received a name and completed the designation process, as of September 2019[update], the list contains 21,963 named objects. This, however, only accounts for approximately 4% of all numbered bodies, as there are more than half a million minor planets with a well established orbit which is a precondition for receiving a name. Of all theses minor-planet names, 1058 contain diacritical marks.
Note: this is a list of all named minor planets. Those for which no article exists on Wikipedia are displayed with a grey color in italics and redirect to the list of minor planets. Designations are given without a parentheses (see permanent syntax).
- List of minor planet discoverers
- List of minor planets named after animals and plants
- List of minor planets named after people
- List of minor planets named after places
- List of minor planets named after rivers
- List of observatory codes
- Meanings of minor planet names § Index
- "Minor Planet Names: Alphabetical List". Minor Planet Center. 27 August 2019. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- Pilcher, Frederick (December 1979). "An Updated Alphabetical List of Names of Minor Planets". The Minor Planet Bulletin. 7: 11–15. Bibcode:1979MPBu....7...11P. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "Orbits And Names – Named minor planets". Minor Planet Center. 27 August 2019. Retrieved 25 September 2019.