Mail delivery agent
A mail delivery agent or message delivery agent (MDA) is a computer software component that is responsible for the delivery of e-mail messages to a local recipient's mailbox. Also called an LDA, or local delivery agent.
Within the Internet mail architecture, local message delivery is achieved through a process of handling messages from the message transfer agent, and storing mail into the recipient's environment (typically a mailbox).
Many Mail Handling Software products bundle multiple message delivery agents with the message transfer agent component, providing for site customization of the specifics of mail delivery to a user.
List of MDA software for Unix-like platforms
- Cyrus IMAP - A mail server suite that includes a mail delivery agent
- dovecot - A mail server suite that includes a mail delivery agent
- fdm (e-mail utility) - A combined mail retrieval agent and mail delivery agent - for complex mail sorting, the man page refers users to maildrop
- fetchmail - mpop is a faster more modern fetchmail alternative, these are primarily mail retrieval programs
- mailagent - an MDA with manual config for many parameters such as timezone; seems to have a Debian package at least.
- maildrop or courier-maildrop (same program?) - traditional procmail replacement
- postdrop or postfix-maildrop (same program?) - A mail delivery agent for use with the postfix mail transport agent; see also the Postfix daemons smtp, local, virtual (?).
- sieve - a more modern replacement for procmail from the GNU Mailutils package
Obsolete MDA software for Unix-like platforms
- bin/mail, the MDA part of Sendmail - Sendmail is one of the oldest email packages
- DBMail - MDA written in C by Eelco van Beek and Roel Rozendaal. Provides IMAP and POP3 daemons that use a MySQL or PostgreSQL mail store. Old? That URL refers to a web service today it seems.
- dystill - A filtering MySQL database driven mail delivery agent - obsolete or old, no Debian package.
- procmail - obsolete since it's unmaintained; old, but still used
- Message transfer agent (MTA)
- Mail retrieval agent (MRA)
- Mail submission agent (MSA)
- Mail user agent (MUA) a.k.a. email client
- E-mail agent (infrastructure) (MxA)
|This article related to a type of software is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This network-related software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|