|Systematic (IUPAC) name|
|Molar mass||239.741 g/mol|
Lometraline (INN; CP-14,368) is a drug which is an aminotetralin derivative. A structural modification of the investigative neuroleptic pinoxepin, lometraline was originally patented by Pfizer as an antipsychotic, tranquilizer, and antiparkinsonian agent (likely as an anticholinergic). However, it was instead later studied as a potential antidepressant and/or anxiolytic agent, but clinical studies revealed no psychoactivity at the doses used and further investigation was suspended. However, further experimental modifications of the chemical structure of lometraline directly resulted in the discovery of tametraline, a potent inhibitor of the reuptake of dopamine and norepinephrine, which in turn led to the discovery of the now widely popular antidepressant sertraline, which, remarkably, acts contrarily as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).
Other Reinhard Sarges Pfizer compounds: Sertraline, Tametraline, Sorbinil, and gliamilide.
- Park S, Gershon S, Angrist B, Floyd A (February 1972). "Evaluation of an aminotetraline, CP 14.368, as an antidepressant". Current Therapeutic Research, Clinical and Experimental 14 (2): 65–70. PMID 4401233.
- Ellen Drake; W.B. Saunders Company (27 January 1994). Saunders pharmaceutical word book, 1994. W.B. Saunders Co. ISBN 978-0-7216-5254-2. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- United States. Patent Office (1972). Official gazette of the United States Patent Office: Patents. The Office. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Francis Gilbert McMahon (1974). Psychopharmacological agents. Futura Pub. Co. ISBN 978-0-87993-052-3. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Bayerische Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg. Arbeitskreis für Schlafforschung (1973). The Nature of sleep. Die Natur des Schlafes. La nature du sommeil: International symposium, Würzburg, 23-26.9.1971. G. Fischer. ISBN 978-3-437-10295-0. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- B. Kenneth Koe, Charles A. Harbert, Reinhard Sarges, Albert Weissman, Willard M. Welch (2006). "Discovery of sertraline (Zoloft®)". Retrieved 2012-04-27.